Chapter 19

Four weeks later

Tyler seemed to have the world at his feet. His career was rising. He had the love of a wonderful woman. And was a surrogate dad to two terrific kids. He met up with Avery and found out that Sean John had just released the early promos that Tyler did for the upcoming summer line. And that Donatella thought this was a perfect time to launch the new kids' line off of Maddy's pictures with Tyler.

That day Avery, Bette, Tyler, and Rachael had dinner with the kids to celebrate. Everyone had a great time as talk changed to Kal's upcoming birthday. "So, Rachael are you going to hire clowns and stuff?" Avery asked.

"Oh no." She said, shaking her head." Kal has to have his party different. He doesn't like balloons, because of the noise they make and when they pop.   The noise hurts his ears. Clowns are a no-no also. He doesn't like the loud, bright colors, the noise, or their look. And we don't have any kids over. Kids tend to get hyped up, loud, and noisy. Maddy, Bette, and I tend to do things low key with Kaleb. Which is fine with him." She smiled softly and looks at Kal while he quietly eats. "But with Maddy, I usually invite Bette and my other friends over and we usually make it a Maddy day." She explained.

"When are Maddy's and Kaleb's birthdays?" Avery asked. "Kal's is in a week. At the end of this month. While Maddy's is next month. It's nice to have both birthdays so close together. It makes planning so much easier." She told him while laughing some.

Bette glanced at Maddy who started to eat her dessert. "Maddy, what do you want for your birthday this year?" She asked the little girl. Maddy picked at her ice cream while giving it some thought. "I don't know. I mean I'll be 10 years old." Maddy said. "And this past year has been great. Tyler came into our lives and made it better." She smiles some before glancing at her little brother.

'Kaleb is actually coming into our world some." The little girl continued. "Something that mama and I thought we would never see. I'm getting a chance for the first time to be a kid and let Tyler take over caring for mama and Kal. And Auntie Bette, you finally have Uncle Avery making him a new part of our family. Kal and I got a brand new grandmama." She sighed before taking a bite of her now melting ice cream. "I guess I don't want or need anything. I'm happy Auntie Bette." She stated.

The grown-ups felt mixed emotions at what she said about her upcoming birthday. Tyler cleared his throat before taking a bite of some pie.  He chewed then swallowed the dessert then casually spoke. "Well, I got a big surprise for you coming up. And it's better than everything that's happened. Including your new career as a model."

"Really?" Maddy sat up excited at the news. "What is it, Daddy?" She asked, growing curious. Tyler just shook his head calmly and laughed, causing the other adults to laugh at the two. "Please! Please, tell me!" She pleaded, pushing the bowl away. Maddy didn't care for ice cream anymore, only what could be that great of a surprise for her birthday.  Tyler wiped his mouth then shook his head once more. "You'll just have to wait and see." He told her.

Later, once Avery and Bette left the house was peaceful. The kids were sleeping while Tyler and Rachael were in his room. Rachael was lying in his bed as Tyler stood in the bathroom doorway brushing his teeth. "So, what is this surprise you have planned for Maddy?" She asked while listening to him move to spit then rinse.

Tyler wiped his mouth then turned the light out before walking to the bed.  He climbed in before snuggling next to her. "I guess I can tell you." He told her before letting her go to turn towards his nightstand and pulled out a box. "I wondered if me asking for her beautiful mother's hand in marriage would be the best birthday present in the world." He said to Rachael. "If her mother wanted me as a husband." He looked up to see Rachael sitting up. She embraced and kissed him before squeezing him tightly. "Yes! Yes! A million times, yes!" She screamed with joy. "I love you so much, Tyler. I would love to be your wife. When would we do it?" She asked Tyler beaming brightly.

"After the small party, we give Maddy." He informed her. "Bette, Avery, Candy, Lucy, Janice, my mom, and Kal are our guests. We'll have a justice of the peace come in right after she blows out her candles. We can get the license and stuff done on Kal's birthday, early in the morning. How  does this all sound?" He asked after he gave her a gentle kiss.

"Yes," Rachael told him after giving a happy sigh. "It's perfect. That will be the greatest day of our lives." She stated she watched him slip the ring on her wedding finger.  Rachael rewarded Tyler by passionately kissing him once more.