Chapter 36

The next day

"What?" Bette said standing up. "He's rich?" Candice repeated as she walked back and forth. "It makes so much sense," Lucy said. "I assumed that Mary hired the lawyer." "She did, but he comes from so much money," Janice replied. "I don't care about money, but to think my kids could have gone without if I didn't have a good job. That Kaleb could have had the top best therapists that specialized in autism." Rachael said, getting angry. "But, he does Rae. Thanks to Tyler." Bette added. Rachael smiled a bit glancing at her friend. "I know. " She said. "And thank God for my husband. But when I was alone and struggling,  Charles could've helped out. Back when Mad was little and Kal was a baby, that rat-faced bastard should've helped!" She yelled. "Especially since we find out he's sitting on a fucking fortune!"

Lucy leaned back against the couch and said the question on everyone's minds. "So, what are you going to do when or if she really does come?" Rachael turned around and narrowed her eyes at the thought. "I'm going to be ready to fight her tooth and nail. I'll be damned if anyone takes any of my kids away from me again. Especially Maddy and Kal." Rachael told them in a soft tone.

Tyler sat in the huge playroom and watched his older five children play about. Maddy watched Tyler sit on the couch in deep thought as he looked off into space. She walked over to him and sat next to him before placing a hand on his. "Daddy, what's wrong?" She asked him, concerned. "Nothing you need to worry about sweetheart. Go back and play with your sister and your brothers." Tyler told her before he plastered on a soft grin while his eyes read something different. "No, daddy. The last time you looked like this I was in court with Charles. Please, daddy, talk to me." The little girl said, pleading with him.

Tyler sighed as he ran a hand over his face. "Charles' has a mom and she wants to see you." He said. "And, Kaleb?" She asked. "And Kaleb as well. Your mom and I are trying to come up with a plan." He told her, sighing again while looking at her. "The question is what can we do and how much time can we do it in." Maddy leaned into his side as she looked up at him. "Daddy, do you think she's nice?" Maddy asked.

 Tyler sighed again and shrugged. "I don't know Maddy-bug. I would hope so, but you never know considering the way her son is. He answered. Maddy nodded in agreement and linked her arms around his left one and hugged him tightly. "What if she's mean, daddy? What if she tries to take me away again? Or worse, what if she takes me and Kal, since some of her blood is in our body and your blood isn't." She said in fear while looking into his blue eyes. "Todd,Trent,and Ty are yours because they have your blood inside them and Micah, Morgan, and Mackie are yours cause you and mama chose them to love. But not Kal and not me." She began to cry as she moved away from Tyler.

She stood up from her spot and turned away from him and poured her heart out, feeling so alone. Tyler moved from his spot but remained on the floor, behind Maddy. Suddenly, Mackenize, Morgan, Micah, and Kaleb all stopped playing to observe what was going on. "Maddy?" Tyler called to her softly. "Maddy, baby, please don't cry." He said reaching out for her. 

He turned her around seeing her face flooded with tears and her eyes red and puffy. "Oh, Maddison, you and Kaleb are mine. As much mine as is Micah, Morgan, and Mac. And they don't have my DNA in them. But just like you, they have my heart and love in them." He whispered to her as he held her in his arms.

"And yes, Todd, Trent, and Ty have my DNA. But they have your mama's DNA too. Which means they have your DNA and Kal's. And you all have my love and heart equally. Remember that I adopted you and Kal. You, sweetie, are my oldest. My oldest child, my oldest daughter, and in my heart, you are my firstborn. I never wanted to tell you this but I was scared to become your step-dad then your only dad." He confessed to her.

Maddy looked up with puffy brown eyes and sniffed back some tears. "Really? Why? You're the best daddy I could ever wish for." She told him. Tyler smiled and caressed her cheek. "Aww, thank you, sweetie. But, I was afraid that one day I would have to punish you or when you got older you would rebel and say that I couldn't tell you what to do because I wasn't your real daddy. And then you would hate me." He said and looked down in his lap. Soon, the rest of the kids sat around them and paid attention to their daddy and big sister. 

"I feel that any day now you five would be like that and hate me for whatever reason," Tyler admitted, feeling heartbroken. "I don't want to lose any of my kids. You all are my babies. Soon, before I know it, Maddy, you and your sister and brothers will be at college, married, and living life. At least the triplets will still be little for a while." He said.

Maddy sniffed the last of her tears away then glanced at her sister and brothers. Morgan went to their daddy to give him a kiss, then she was followed by Kaleb, then by Mackenzie, and Micah. They all covered Tyler in hugs and kisses. "Daddy, I don't think you'll ever lose us. We know that you are our real daddy. And I'm sure even when we are big and become a pain in the necks, we'll still love you as our real daddy." Maddy told him and leaned in to kiss and hug him. 

"Love, Dada. Love, Dada." Kal and the younger kids said. Maddy laughed a bit as she joined the pile of kiddies on top of Tyler as he began to laugh some. "Yeah, love Dada. Love, Dada." Maddy said, joining in as she and Tyler began to feel better.

Next afternoon

Maddy and Kaleb were busy with homework in the playroom. The three M's and the three T's , as everyone sometimes called them when talking about them together, were all taking naps, when there was a knock at the door. Rachael and Tyler were in the living room when they heard the sound. "I'll get it." She said, getting up and heading to the door. She paused to speak through the door. "Who is it?" 

 "Gertrude Pennington." A voice replied through the door. Rachael opened the door and was face to face with Ms. Gertrude Pennington aka Mother Pennington of The Pennington Corporation and Pennington Wholesome Foods. They made the best family meals and snacks that were sold in every major and minor grocery store all over the world. Once Mary left that night, she and Tyler went online to search and found out that Charles was keeping his family life hidden like a dirty secret. They found out that Pennington is her maiden name. Her married name was Stoldworth.

Charles' birth last name is Stoldworth. Charles Arthur Stoldworth IV. Come to find out that his daddy has always put his money in unconventional yet solid business ideas for a better planet. Like wind energy and other projects that were ahead of his time and still are. Charles used his mother's last name to sow his wild oats. Which is what his mother told him he needed to do before he settles down.

Too bad that he took that advice to heart. Charles didn't want to settle down with anyone but Mary. And that was once he realized she had her own money that she was born into. Mary admitted that her problem was that she was too trusting and naive. But she was glad that she opened up her eyes and saw the light. And as she sat there a few nights ago, she told Tyler and Rachael everything she knew about Charles and his family. She also couldn't believe that Rachael, the mother of his only two biological children, didn't know anything about his life.

Rachael stood in front of the woman who bore the leech known as Charles Pennington as they locked eye contact. "You must be Rachael," Gertrude said with an airy tone as she arched a brow and turned up her nose. "Yes, I am. Gertrude Pennington Stoldworth, I assume." Rachael said, trying to match the woman's tone. "Come in. I've been expecting you". Rachael said letting Gertrude in. The women were ready to lay all the cards on the table and in Rachael's case, be prepared to fight to win.

Gertrude Pennington Stoldworth