Chapter 9

The next day, Rachael slept while the kids spent a lazy Sunday morning with Tyler

The next day, Rachael slept while the kids spent a lazy Sunday morning with Tyler. They sat on the floor with their backs against the couch while eating and watching Sesame Street in the kids' playroom. Kaleb sat on Tyler's right side, making sure that he was close to him. Maddy sat on Tyler's left side as she leans into him full from eating. She put her plate aside while she grabbed the dolls that Tyler bought her yesterday.

Tyler glanced to see her happily playing with them, remembering what he tried to ask her at the store. "Maddy, why did you pick out those two dolls at the store?" He casually asked before he glanced to see Kal leaning into him, very relaxed with a full tummy, and focused on Elmo. Maddy just shrugged into his bicep while sitting down the guy doll.  She then began to comb the girl doll's hair. "I like them. They remind me of mama and you. Black and white." She explained as she set the comb down to pick up the white male doll again. Tyler noticed a little similarity from the dolls. "She likes him and he likes her. But she's shy and he's just too cute for his own good." Maddy said, telling their plastic life stories. Tyler laughed reached for the doll that looks like him as she smiled.

"What makes you think he's too cute?" Tyler asked her, dreading the answer. "I heard my aunties say that you were too cute for own good. And mama better snatch you up before another woman comes along and takes you away?" She spoke softly. Tyler noticed her tone and used his free hand to tilt her head up to look in her face. There, he saw sadness as Maddy tried not to tear up. His heart started to ache while he gave her a small smile. "Maddy, is there something you want to talk about?"

The little girl's lips trembled as she threw her face into his side. "Tyler, don't leave us! I know you haven't been here long. But, you are the best nanny we've had. And we love you! I heard from Auntie Bette that Kal got mad about you on TV. They didn't know that he thought you were in the TV and he wanted to be in there with you. He loves you so much. When you work away from the house he walks around saying, 'T-T-T'." She sobbed into his t-shirt while rambling on.

"And I know mama would miss you. You can't go away." She looked up with her face drowning in tears. Tyler wiped her face and calmed her down. He turned to see that Kal was fast asleep curled on the floor. His body was snuggled against Tyler, his face was happy and peaceful. Tyler put a blanket, that he grabbed off the couch from behind them, on Kal, and turned back to see Maddy was still sniffing back the remaining tears. He held her face in his hands and cleared his throat.

"Maddison, who said I was going anywhere?" He calmly asked her. "Everyone knows you're model. Mommy told me. And all my aunties say you do a good job.  Last night all the people wanted your autograph like you were a movie star. That means you're famous. And if you're famous, you can't be our nanny. And it means you'll have to go away." She breathed a deep sigh as she felt him pull her close to him.

"I'm not leaving. I don't want to. I love you guys too. You and Kal are the best. I would be so sad if I didn't have you in my life anymore. And to see you grow up would be so cool. But I'm sure that someday your mommy would want to get married and you guys would have a dad." He soothed her by smoothing her ponytails. "I may have to leave then. But know I'll always be around."

"You could be our new daddy and then you will be here forever," Maddy said as she covered her face in his shirt. Tyler froze his hands as he looked off unsure if he heard her right. "I could what?" He asked hot hiding his surprise. Maddy sat up as she looked in his blue eyes. "I said that if you were our new daddy, you could stay forever. Will you be our new daddy? I know you like my mommy. And she likes you. Will you?" Maddy pleaded.

Tyler was shocked at the nine-year-old before him as he thought of how grown kids are getting these days. He didn't realize he was still quiet until he heard a voice from the door. They both looked to see Rachael stand there in her sweats and a t-shirt with her hair down, watching them. "Maddy, go clean your room please." She told her. Maddy glanced at Tyler one more time before heading to her room. Tyler got up then picked up Kal tp take him back to bed with Rachael following.

After he placed the little boy in his bed, he walked out of the room and into the hallway where Rachael still stood. She stared at him as she began to speak. "Bette's right. You're about to be a superstar. And Maddy's right, you'll have to leave us." Tyler wondered about her tone, while his eyes sparkled a bit listening to her choice of words. "Us? Does that mean you are included in us ?" He smiled as he stepped up to her.

Rachael shrugged as she gave a slight nod. "Maybe. But, what does it matter if you are leaving." Tyler closed the distance and slipped his arms around her waist. "It matters if you want there to be an us. And like I told Maddy, I'm not going anywhere. Even if I do become larger than the regular old model I am. I wouldn't want it if I couldn't have you, Kal, and Maddy in my life. I love them." He whispered to her as he caressed her cheek. "And I'm falling in love with you. These past few months I have noticed that Kal isn't the only one making positive milestones in his life."

"What about the kids?" Rachael changed the subject quickly. Tyler grinned as he nodded his head towards the kids' bedrooms. "I can safely say that we have the kids' blessings. But I won't try if you won't try. It's up to you, Rachael." He watched her eyes debate silently on the pros and the cons before glancing back up to his. "Well?" He softly asked.

"I'll try." She smiled softly, remembering Bette's advice. "Good." He murmured as he leaned in to kiss her, while Bette's advice flowed through his head also. He gave the wonderful woman a mental thank you for the advice last night as he continued to hold onto the woman he wanted to be his. He silently promised himself that he would make this work. And that no one get in the way of his happiness with this great family.