Chapter 42

Mary holding Ava and Edward stood at the front door waiting for the person on the other side to open it. "Hello, Mary. Hello, Edward. Please, come in." Rachael greeted them before letting them walk in. "Hello again, Rachael," Edward said while Mary gave Rachael a half hug. "Hi, Rae. Can I lay her down? She's sleeping." Mary asked when Tyler stepped up."Sure," He told her. "We have a bassinet down here in the living room. Follow me." Tyler told her leading her away.

Rachael stood with Edward as she stared him in the eyes. "I guess you want to see the children." She said more than asked him. Edward gave her a small smile before he slowly nodded. Rachael led him into the playroom where her oldest children were. She opened the door to see the five of them running about, doing different things. Maddy looked up to see the adults at the door.

"Mama! Grandpa Eddie!" She squealed with joy before running up to them to hug them both. The rest of her siblings ran behind her repeating what she said. 'Mama! Grandpa!" Micah, Morgan, and Mackenzie said before they rushed him to hug Edward.  Kaleb took his time with his hug, once everyone moved away. "Gran-pa." Kal took his time to say. The young boy sighed and closed his eyes while lightly hugging Edward.

Edward carefully placed a hand softly against Kaleb's back before looking up at Rachael with tears in his eyes. "I-I-I thought you-." The man tried to say as a raw feeling took over his throat. Rachael gave him a half-smile. "My husband made me see that you are a good enough person to be around. And you're good for our children to be around." She said. "Maddy is a great judge of character. She's been asking me could she call you grandpa. Then the others wanted to also, but not before they got permission from their grandpa Todd." Rachael explained. "That's when I knew I didn't have a choice. I must admit that you're a much better person than your son and wife. So, welcome to the family, Edward." Rachael said as she extended her hand.

Edward looked at her hand and took it before pulling her into his embrace. "Thank you. And I promise that you won't regret letting me into your lives. I will honor and cherish it." He cried in her arms while Mary, Todd, Alyssa, and Tyler looked on from the hallway.

Later back at the Stoldworth Mansion

Charles was texting his latest conquest as he walked passed the family room when his mother called him

Charles was texting his latest conquest as he walked passed the family room when his mother called him. "Charles?" She called out his name causing him to pause mid-step before walking in the room where she was. "Yes, mother?" He asked before finishing up his text. "How do you feel about what your father said earlier today?" Gertie asked as she massaged her long fingernails into her hair. Charles placed his smartphone in his pocket then giving his answer in a shrug. "I love dad, but he's wrong on this," Charles admitted. "I don't want Kaleb. He can't make me even if he had the power. I wanted Maddy, but she's as stubborn as her mother.  I shouldn't have to fight a kid to be with me." He said, reaching for a small glass cup to toss against the wall.

"Hmm. Well, do you still want to fight for her?" She asked him, looking into the face of her only child. All she saw was indifference and nonchalant attitude. "No. I got better things to do. Why?" Charles spoke, not caring anymore. "Do you want to continue to fight or something? Because if you do, then be my guest mom." He stood there with his hands in his pockets while staring back at her.

"I want the girl. But, I can't fight how I want. So, what's the use." She said while continuing to rake her nails through her hair, soothing her scalp. Charles shrugged again before walking out the room with his mind back on his latest crop of young girls. Gertie remained there alone before a smirk began to appear upon her lips. "But that doesn't mean I can't try other ways." She spoke softly to herself.