Chapter 8

Sometime later, the door opened with Maddy bouncing about with her dolls and a gift for Kal. "Mommy, here are the blocks for Kal. And guess what, Mommy?" She said with a smile. "What, Sweetie," Bette answered for Rachael who sat there staring at them. Kaleb finally freed himself and ran to Tyler before he let his little hand lightly touch the young man's arm.

Everyone focused on Kal's actions. Even Maddy stopped talking to pay attention to her little brother as he started to pet Tyler's arm gently before easing his fingers into Tyler's adult-sized palm.  Bette gasped softly, her eyes went wide, while Maddy went to hug her mom. Rachael just held onto Maddy as she looked from Kaleb to Tyler. Their eyes locked with amazement to the sight before them.

Two hours later 

Tyler was getting Maddy and Kal in bed while Bette sat in the dining room with Rachael. "Well, I can honestly say that this day was one you would've had to see for yourself in order to truly believe," Bette noted aloud before sipping her hot cup of lemon tea.  "I know. I still can't wrap my head around any of what we found out tonight." Rachael agreed then blew against her cup. "What did you want to say before Kal and everything, Bette?" Rachael asked her best friend when Tyler was walking up near the room.

He stopped against the wall and remained quiet as he listened to their conversation. "I wanted to say that you saw the news and heard the lady talk about Tyler. You also saw all those women and men who all were hot for him and begging for his autograph. He's about to become mega-famous and possibly rich in his own right. But I could see that all he was concerned with was Maddy and making sure she didn't get hurt or upset." Bette told her in a matter of fact tone while she continued to drink her tea in between chatting.

"I've seen the way that young man looks at you. Chuck, never looked at you that way. I never liked that man. I knew deep inside just because you meet a man in church doesn't make him a good man. It makes him a man who played the part to get what he wanted. I mean it was a surprise to you when you found out he wasn't even a member of that church. He took you there to make sure he made a excellent impression on you. And it worked for a while." Bette exhaled as Rachael cut her off. 

"Until I got pregnant with Maddison," Rachael said with a frown on her mouth. Bette finished her tea and gave a nod, "Just in that instant he went from nice, so-called churchman into one of those sorry sons of bitches on Maury who know full well that they are the baby's daddy. But since the woman got pregnant, she's a hoe now." Bette continuing talking to Rachael but knew that Tyler was outside the room, listening.

 She stood up and walked around as she grew hot, remembering the past. "I mean he's lucky all you did after the DNA test he forced you to take, which proved his sorry ass was the daddy. That all you did, was make sure Maddy had your last name and what little child support they could squeeze from him."

Tyler rested his head against the wall as closed his eyes at the thought of Maddy. He turned his head to listen more as Bette ranted on. "But to let his ass come back a second time and create a second baby was so surprising to me, Rach. You know you could do so much better than him. In fact, the only thing his sorry ass ever gave you was Kal and Maddy. Thank God for those wonderful babies that have nothing to do with him."

Rachael rested her head in the palm of her hand while watching Bette pace back and forth. "I know. I know. But when he finally saw she was growing up without him and didn't know him, he stepped up. Even for a bit. And it made me hold out hope and that made me give in when he wanted to be with me."

Rachael started to cry as she spoke on. "I thought that he was really making a change. He said he wanted to marry me and wanted the kids to have his last name and we would finally be a family. Until-." Bette rushes over to her and put her arms around her friend and leaned her head against Rachael's as they began to cry together. "Until Kal was born and you noticed something was wrong. And we all found out that he was Autistic. Then Chuckie tried to say that Kal wasn't his. But me being your lawyer and best friend, knew that would happen and bum-rushed his ass with the proof."

Tyler 's face changed as he grew angry at this loser for walking out on such a great family. "He couldn't handle having a son that wasn't perfect to him. And only wanted the child that seemed perfect to his eyes. " Bette sniffed back as she made her friend focus on her. "But then there is Tyler. Yeah, he works for you. Yes, he's younger, not that much, but in your eyes still younger than you. I have seen him around you. All of our friends have. He sees Maddy as pure perfection. He sees Kal as pure perfection."

Bette glanced from her side view and noticed Tyler's shadow outside the room in the hallway and smiled. She was glad that he stayed to listen. She knew that Rachael wouldn't just talk to him about her life. She smiled to herself, knowing they both needed to take the first step. Bette completely focused back on Rachael. "And he sees you for the perfection you are. Why do you think he was so hot and bothered by you in that dress the night we went clubbing?" Bette asked her. "Just stop thinking and let go. Save thinking for another day."

At that moment, Tyler and Rachael both leaned back and took Bette's words to heart. Bette stood up straight noticing Tyler's shadow leave. Rachael then stood up to wipe her tears away. "I'm going to go. " Bette said, turning to hug Rachael before they walked to the front door. " I'll see you for our monthly get together in a week," Bette told her. "Remember what I said. Just stop thinking and let go. Save thinking for another day."

Rachael just nodded and gave her a hug before waving goodbye to her. Rachael closed and locked the front door at the same time that Tyler closed his bedroom door. Both of them leaning against the doors as they softly spoke to themselves. "I will."