Chapter 39

Edward Stoldworth stared Tyler in the eyes as heard the young man's threat loud and clear. He mulled over what to say to him knowing his wife would play just as dirty. This was beginning to get out of hand and it had just begun. All thanks to his stupid, lazy son. He's wanted grandchildren for so long that he didn't think he'd live to see any. Especially with his son being a first class man whore. Plus the news that Mary had told him and his wife devastated them. 

He so thought of her as his daughter-in-law. But of course, his son screwed that up. Then to find out that Mary couldn't have any biological children was so heartbreaking. He was surprised that she privately introduced him to her daughter whom she adopted. He made her see that loving a child, whether biological or not, was the most important thing. Being a grandfather for Edward was the most important thing.

He did his homework on Tyler Sumner deeper than his wife did. And he was most impressed. A college graduate and a model. He made enough money to want to venture out and create his own business. Something not too many people knew of. He took a situation and made it his own with his own positive mark on it. Like he did with his grandchildren and their mother. He knew that this young man's claim on that family was solid. That the children could side with him in a heartbeat, leaving him out in the cold. Edward knew then what he had to do.

"Fine." He simply stated, leaving Tyler with his mouth open. Edward smiled a bit at the knowledge he could still leave them hanging. "Excuse, me but what?" Tyler asked, surprised that Edward wasn't demanding that he'll hear from the older man's lawyer. "I said, fine. We'll play this your way by your rules. After all, this is your family. You've known them longer and better than I do. " Edward said with a sigh as he placed both his hands on the table, palms down. 

"I just want a chance to know my only grandchildren. My wife wanted our only child to have a name that showed he came from blue blood status. And that was my grandfather's and my father's name. The only reason I'm not Charles IV is because my mother was so close to her father and he was named Edward. I was the only boy from all girls and my father was so happy to have a boy he let her choose the name." Edward rambled, trying to plead his case with Tyler.

Tyler paid attention to the man before him, letting the older gentleman continued. "I am so sorry for all my son has done to your family." Edward began to apologize. 'Your wife and children. Mary told me everything." He told him. "I always thought she was my daughter-in-law and loved her like she was my own. Even Gertie loved Mary. She's black blue-blood like Gertie and I are."

Tyler's eyes narrowed in confused before Edward gave a light chuckle. "I apologize. You don't understand what I am saying." Edward said. "Black blue-blood are blue-blood families that are Black. Black old money families that are so old that some made their fortune in secret post-slavery days. It was kept hidden until it was time and safe to have money like that and be Black." Edward explained. "If your family was, only a few people in the family that were truly trustworthy knew. Just in case someone was watching your every move and wanted to take you out. So to speak." Edward said to Tyler.

"Wow," Tyler said, amazed.  "So, you really want to just be apart of Maddison's and Kaleb's lives? Or is this about keeping the Black blue -blood line in tack?" He asked, feeling guarded. "Because they have my name now and they want to keep it. As for money, let's just say I've made so much in the past two years I could retire now. And my kids would be taken care of into their golden years. Not just Maddy and Kal, but all my kids and any future children we've yet to have." 

Tyler leaned back and exhaled a deep breath, not blinking while he continued to look at Edward. "I really, honestly want to be a part of my grandchildren's lives," Edward said as he leaned back also. "And their last name isn't important. After all their fa- I mean Charles took his mother's last name. They still have my blood running through their veins." He stated before continuing. "But, I know that you and their mother are their parents. I would respect anything you decide."

Tyler sat there for a moment before speaking. "Fine. Let's go." He told Edward before standing up. Edward stood also before paying the bill and leaving with Tyler leading the way. Once they got to his jeep, Tyler let him in before grabbing his cellphone to dial home.  He instantly smiled when the phone was picked up by Rachael. "Hi, Love. Would you mind if I bring a guest home for dinner?" Tyler asked her. "Yes, baby, it's a new friend I want to introduce to everyone."

Later, Tyler arrived in the driveway with Edward in the passenger seat. As they got out, the front door opened up and five kids running out to greet him. The adults behind them, each with a baby in their arms. Edward's heart swelled at the sight of all the grandchildren Tyler's parents get to grandparent and suddenly felt a twinge of jealousy. He quickly put on a smile when Tyler bent to hug the oldest kids first before giving kisses to the babies then the other adults. 

"This is my mom, Alyssa. My step-father, Todd. My wife, Rachael. And these are our children in order," Tyler said before pointing them out. "Maddison is also known as Maddy. Kaleb is known as Kal. Micah, the twins- Morgan, and Mackenzie. And our triplets- Tyler Jr., Trent, and Todd." 

"Hello." Edward smiled at them all as they said hello back. "Everyone, this is Edward Stoldworth," Tyler said before Alyssa's and Rachael's eyes widened in shock while Todd shook his head at the drama coming their way at dinner.