88. race against the clock

' We ain't afraid. '

88. race against the clock

 race against the clock

DARYL

     THE SOUND OF THE HERD BEHIND HIM and the grumbling engine of his bike beneath him was deafening. He'd always prefered the quiet. Nothing but the sound of leaves beneath his feet and the wind rustling the trees. Being alone, out in the woods, had never been something he struggled with. But here he was, riding his bike at the front of a thousand walkers, leading them away from the people who showed him that he didn't have to be alone.

Merle probably would've laughed if he knew his little brother was even thinking this. He'd tell him not to be such a pussy, to go look for where he'd last seen his balls laying around. But even Merle had eventually decided he didn't want to be alone anymore and paid the ultimate price for it.

The end of the world should've hardened the Dixon brothers, instead, it brought out the good in them. A fire that always been there, smoldering in their souls. It just needed a spark to set it ablaze. This group had been that spark. In the beginning he might've feared it and even tried to fight it. But there was one person who had made it impossible for him to keep turning away. After the prison fell he'd been so close to giving it all up, to turn away, disappear into the woods like he was meant to do.