Prologue

###

"Memory is a complicated thing, a relative to truth, but not its twin

"Memory is a complicated thing, a relative to truth, but not its twin." 
Barbara Kingsolver

###

Laylah stared into the hospital room before her through the small window on the door, the windows blocked out by the heavy curtains that were drawn. But, the bed was empty. In the corner, under a small table, sat huddled underneath it was the victim of a horrendous crime. A boy, no older then sixteen, had been found by a small family on the side of the road; beaten and struggling to walk. He hadn't said a word since and refused to let anyone near him. 

She reached for the door handle and pulled the door open, sliding it along it's tracks. She stepped into the dark room, her boots barely making a sound on the lino beneath her feet. There was an untouched plate of food on the table hanging over the bed, the lamp in the corner casting a warm glow. She moved to sit at the end of the bed, putting a fair distance between herself and the young boy. His scared gaze was set on her, his body trembling slightly as he tried to cower further into the corner. She didn't look at him for long, resting her hands on the tops of her knees. 

'My name's Laylah,' She spoke softly; 'I'm here to help you... I'm with the police. I want to find who hurt you and put them in a place where they'll never hurt anyone else again.'

She didn't get a reply, she didn't expect one. But, she did get his eyes to move to her for a second before quickly flicking away. 

'I'm going to be here every step of the way, I'm not leaving you unless you ask me to,' She added; 'We're in this together now.'

She felt his gaze move to her again. She didn't move to meet it, instead she waited until she felt it leave before she looked to him. He was still tightly bound in the corner, but he wasn't cowering as far into it. She smiled slightly, nodding her head to herself. Laylah remained in that exact spot for hours, never moving, never speaking. She occasionally took a peek at the nameless boy, but never did anything more. She knew it was going to take a while for him to open up to anyone. 

The woman looked up when there was a light knock on the door, the boy jumping before cowering back into the corner. She sighed, looking to the pair standing outside the door; one male, one female. The blonde hair female pulled the door open, allowing the man in first before she followed. They flashed their badges at her, watching her nod before they crouched in front of the table; just a little too close for her liking. 

'Hey. My name's Derek. I'm one of the good guys,' The man spoke softly; 'And this is my friend.'

'I'm Jennifer,' The blonde smiled slightly; 'You're safe now.'

'Doctor says you haven't been eating much. Food looks pretty good.'

Jennifer reached for the water bottle when he didn't reply, 'You must be thirsty. Here you go.'