64

###

 " Loss of control is always the source of fear

 " Loss of control is always the source of fear. It is also, however, always the source of change. "
James Frey 

###

Laylah walked through the station, approaching her team as they readied themselves to give the profile. She sent them a tight smile when she came to stand with them, pushing her phone into the back pocket of her jeans. She'd tried to get in contact with Emily, but the line had rang into her voice mail.

'Ready?' Rossi nodded.

'Yeh,' She replied.

They turned to face the small crowd of officers before them, their attention already on the agents as they spread out in a line so they could all be seen.

'This unsub is what's known as a sadistic symphorophiliac,' Rossi stated.

'Symphorophilia is a type of paraphilia in which sexual arousal is derived from staging and then watching disasters, such as fires, or in this case, car accidents,' Laylah explained.

'Observing the destruction he causes is extremely important to this unsub,' JJ added.

'He enjoys watching the terror of the drivers whose cars he hijacks, as well as the impact with his chosen pedestrian victim,' Stephen stated.

'In order to watch, he hacks traffic cameras or in-car dashboard cameras, as well as dash-mounted smartphones,' Luke informed them.

'Now, so far there's no apparent connection between the drivers of the vehicles and their pedestrian victims,' Tara announced.

'Instead, it appears the drivers are selected based on the vehicles they drive,' Rossi added.

'This pattern of vehicle selection was initially limited to a single make and model, but he has since expanded his hacking capabilities,' Stephen continued.

'We believe our unsub is a white male in his mid to late twenties.'

'This unsub is careful enough to select drivers based on after market add-ons to their vehicles, such as dashboard cams or smartphone mounts,' JJ informed them.

'Workplace parking lots would be really good hunting grounds because he'd be able to see the same cars over and over, and once he's determined that that driver is using those after market devices consistently, bang, that's his next victim,' Penelope spoke next.

'His first two hijackings were in order to perfect his technique. And those pedestrians were victims of opportunity,' Luke stated with an amused smile.

'However, this latest hijacking reveals that he's refining his victim criteria. He specifically chose a young, attractive, dark-haired woman,' Tara noted.