22

###

"Parents are the bones on which children sharpen their teeth

"Parents are the bones on which children sharpen their teeth." 
 Peter Ustinov

###

Laylah stood against Spencer's side as she took in the decorations around her, a smile on her lips. Spencer's hand rested on the small of her back, his lips occasionally kissing the top of her head; Penelope squealing the first time she'd seen it. They had tried to keep it subtle, but the blonde had given them away to JJ and Tara who congratulated them with grins; asking what had taken so long. 

She smiled over at Savannah as she stood amongst them, her stomach bulging under her floral shirt; not long left until she was due. They'd been talking baby names, both boys and girls as they couple had decided not to find out the gender. Laylah adored most of them, but the talk made her yearn even more for a child of her own. She'd kept her smile and her interest in the conversation, guilty she was feeling that way. 

Her eyes snapped to the door when the handle turned downward, Rossi pushing it open before Derek stepped in behind him. She threw her arms up in the air as she cheered with the rest of the team, Hotch the only one absent; having been stuck on a call. Derek laughed as he looked over all of them, taking it all in. The cake, the blue and pink decorations, the balloons.

'Surprise!' Penelope cheered. 

'Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, no, you didn't,' Derek grinned. 

'Not my idea, babe. I was outnumbered,' Savannah smiled. 

'How long has this been in the works?'

'Oh, two weeks. You didn't suspect?'

'I, uh, had no idea.'

He leant down to kiss his wife, Laylah finding herself back against Spencer's side once more.

'That's good. A certain amount of cluelessness is nice in a husband,' Penelope noted. 

'Ok, hush up,' Derek retorted. 

'Amen to that. A woman is entitled to her secrets, especially from a profiler,' Tara teased. 

'Well, this profiler may not be changing any diapers, but I will tear up some diaper cake.'

'Oh, you look like a diaper changer to me,' Rossi's brows raised. 

'Yes, you will be changing some diapers,' Savannah looked up at him incredulously. 

'You bet your ass you'll be changing diapers,' Laylah nodded firmly as the other women scolded him also. 

'Ladies, I was joking, I was joking,' He held up his hands in surrender; 'Look, baby, I was joking. It was a joke.'

He kissed his wife again, Laylah chuckled before she looked up to Spencer, who's eyes were already on her. She smiled, scanning his face as the chatter started around them. Savannah and Derek cut the cake together, Penelope passing out the slices quickly. Laylah removed herself from Spencer's side to take a bite of the vanilla cake, moaning in delight.