47

###

"The strength of a family, like the strength of an army, is in its loyalty to each other

"The strength of a family, like the strength of an army, is in its loyalty to each other."
Mario Puzo

###

Laylah threw her head back in laughter as she walked behind Luke with the rest of the team, listening to him tell a story. Her hand was linked in Spencer's, who's eyes continually flicked between his girlfriend and Luke; worry bubbling in his stomach. She peered up at him with a smile, instantly noticing his soft frown before he forced a smile onto his lips.

'You're kidding?' Laylah shook her head as she looked back to Luke.

'I'm dead serious,' He pushed the doors to the office open.

'There's no way,' JJ shook her head.

'The probability of that happening to you more than once is astounding,' Spencer noted.

'I know. I know. But I was there, ok, and I'm telling you, it was crazy,' Luke chuckled.

'Thank God you guys are here. What do you know?' Penelope rushed over to them.

'Nothing,' JJ replied in confusion.

'Ok. Rossi got here crazy early, and then right when Prentiss came in he pulled her in there.'

Just as they looked up to the man's office, the door opened before he and Emily stepped out onto the platform.

'We need to talk,' Rossi stated before motioning to the bullpen with his head.

The team immediately followed, Laylah dumping her bag on her desk as she passed it. She kept her hand set in Spencer's, suddenly anxious to know what was going on.

'Ok, ok. What's going on?' Penelope gushed as they entered the room.

'It's Hotch,' Rossi glanced to Emily.

'Oh, my God. Is he ok?'

'He's ok. But he has not been away on special assignment. That's something we had to say as a cover for the investigation.'

'What investigation?'

'Hotch saw Peter Lewis watching one of Jack's soccer games.'

'By the time Hotch reacted, Lewis had taken off. The Bureau searched the area, but he disappeared,' Emily added.

'When was this?' JJ asked.

'Days after Mr. Scratch resurfaced in Arizona,' Rossi answered.

'One of the victims was chanting his name when we found her. She had Hotch carved into her forehead. It really got to him,' Tara noted.

'Why didn't he tell us? We could have focused on finding Mr. Scratch,' Spencer spoke softly, causing Laylah to squeeze his hand.

'He knows we can't drop everything. Also, he didn't want to worry everyone.'