56

###

"We must remember that Satan has his miracles, too

"We must remember that Satan has his miracles, too."
 John Calvin

###

Laylah nervously wrung her fingers together in front of her, her feet carrying her up at the stairs; her heeled boots silent against the carpet. She could see Spencer's door the second she got to the top of the staircase, pausing for a second before she stepped forward again. She raised her hand to knock on the door, her knuckles tapping upon the wooden door three times before she withdrew them. The door opened almost instantly, Spencer's wide eyed face peering out before he grinned. 

'Hey, baby,' He pulled the door open further. 

'Hey,' She smiled. 

'You don't have to be nervous.'

'I kinda am. She's your Mum, Spence. This is huge, I've never done this before.'

'You'll be ok.'

She nodded anxiously, her finger tapping against the back of her hand until Spencer reached out to grab it. He linked his fingers through her own, running his thumb back and forth over her skin as he stepped forward to place a kiss to her forehead. She let out a soft sigh, leaning into his lips. He guided her inside with a soft tug on her hand, the girl following him. She peeked around him to find Diana Reid sitting on the couch, staring out into the air. 

'Mum, this is Laylah,' He called softly. 

'Hi, Mrs Reid,' She greeted. 

'Is she the nurse you were talking about?' Diana didn't turned to face them. 

'N-No, Mum. Laylah's my girlfriend, remember? I was telling you about her,' Spencer stammered.

Diana turned then with a blank look on her face, she studied Laylah for a second; her eyes moving down her body. 

'She's pretty,' She stated gruffly. 

'Thank you,' Laylah smiled. 

'Why is she here?'

'You wanted to meet her,' Spencer encouraged; 'And she wanted to meet you.'

'Well, she's met me. She can leave now.'

Spencer sighed softly, Laylah squeezing his hand before she released it; stepping toward Diana. 

'Mrs Reid, how about we get to know each other a little bit?' She questioned as she came to sit in the armchair.

'My name's Diana,' The woman muttered. 

'Ok. Diana. Who's your favourite author?'

'Margery Kempe.'

'She wrote the first autobiography in history.'

'Yes.'

'Spencer tells me you used to be a professor of literature.'