43

###

"What greater thing is there for human souls than to feel that they are joined for life, to be with each other in silent, unspeakable memories? " George Eliot

George Eliot

###

Laylah and JJ shut the car doors behind them as they started toward the outpost, spotting Rossi amongst the crowd of officers. The Davis girl passed her dog off to one of the unit members, patting his head before thanking the man; watching as they walked off.

'So, uh, the Burton house is abandoned,' JJ called.

'There was a stockpile of canned food and bottled water in the back, though. We figured that Todd would come into town from time to time,' Laylah shrugged.

'That's probably where he holed up,' Rossi pulled out his phone and called Penelope; 'Garcia, do you have any more information on the Burton family?'

'Yes, I do, and it's all super sad,' Penelope replied quickly; 'So, mother Amy died of cirrhosis of the liver, like literally drank herself to death. Which, the more you learn about father, Curtis, it makes sense, cause he regularly beat her and both of the boys, and then he dropped dead of a heart attack about a year ago.'

'What happened to the boys once they left the house?'

'Todd stayed in Dillon. He lived on the streets, started doing drugs. Four years later, little brother Cormac turned eighteen and he moved to Luray. He just skedaddled, clear on the other side of the state.'

'Did Cormac have the same problems as Todd?' JJ asked.

'No, he didn't. He worked at a sporting goods store. Kept to himself. No wife or kids. Here's what's weird. As soon as his dad Curtis died, Cormac dropped everything in Luray and came right back to Dillon. But then he disappeared. Poof.'

'When was he last seen?' Laylah pressed.

'Visually documented seen? Uh, when he got a driver's license fourteen months ago.'

'A classic case of transference,' JJ muttered.

'Timing works out. Cormac the dog, Cormac the brother,' Rossi sighed; 'I'll call Reid, thanks, Garcia.'

'You're very welcome. Oh, and Laylah, I have the package safe and sound,' She replied before hanging up.

Laylah smiled to herself as wandered over to the evidence board, crossing her arms over her chest as Rossi rang Spencer; his eyes watching her.

'Hey, Rossi. What's up?' Spencer greeted in his ear.

'Pull another DNA sample from John Doe number one,' He instructed.

'We tried, but the remains are too degraded.'

'Well, you need to try again.'

'All right, I'll have the M.E. take a second sample, but why?'