36

###

"The evil that men do lives after them

"The evil that men do lives after them. The good is oft interred with their bones."
William Shakespeare

###

Laylah didn't go to the hospital with Tara and Hotch, she already knew what was waiting there for them; the result of a mistake. She leant on the vanity in the bathroom, her head low as went over every little thing she'd noticed with Brian; every tick, the way he spoke, the way he acted. She should've picked up on it, on something. She shook her head, pushing off the vanity to march out into the station in a foul mood.

'Hey,' JJ approached her.

'Hey,' She replied.

'You alright?'

'No.'

'You can't blame yourself, Lay.'

'I missed it, JJ. I missed it. I think through everything and I missed the idea that that would be the trigger.'

'With everything going on, it's understandable and you can't think of everything all the time. We all make mistakes.'

'A man's dead because of me.'

'It's not your fault.'

She sighed, staring across the room as her mind dragged her away. JJ placed a soft hand on her wrist, bringing her back to the present as she looked to the blonde.

'Listen to me, Laylah,' She spoke firmly; 'You can't think of everything all the time. You're going through a rough time right now, your mind is working over so many different things. We didn't even think of this. It's not your fault.'

She clenched her jaw, 'Yeh.'

She swallowed, walking with the woman after a second. They entered the conference room, Spencer's gaze instantly falling to them. JJ sent him a tight smile, but Laylah's gaze was distant; his eyes falling to the moving fingers. He stepped toward her, reaching for her to give it soft squeeze. Her brown eyes snapped to him, lids blinking as few times before she finally saw him. He sighed softly as the guilt in her eyes, leaning forward to press a kiss to her forehead.

'I'm sorry,' She whispered.

'You have nothing to be sorry for,' He shook his head as he leant back.

'But, I do.'

'No, you don't. You did nothing wrong, baby.'

She whimpered softly, wrapping her arms around his waist as she buried her face into his chest. She didn't recognise the feeling of guilt she wore, she just knew it made her feel sick and dizzy; settling in the pit of her stomach and remained there. Spencer brushed her hair back out of her face, holding her close as he kissed the top of her head.