53

###

"What madness is it to be expecting evil before it comes? " Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Lucius Annaeus Seneca

###

Laylah sat curled up on the couch, her phone pressed up to her ear. Her record player sung it's song quietly from the corner, a smile on her lips as she listened to Spencer's voice in her ear. She stared out across the room, her fingers playing with the bottom of her pyjama pants.

'She wants to meet you,' Spencer smiled.

'Really?' She replied with furrowed brows.

'Yeh. She's really excited actually. It's nice to see her smiling.'

'Wow, I... Wow... Did you find the envelope I left in your bag?'

'Huh? What envelope?'

'I slipped it in there before you left.'

'Hang on, let me have a look.'

There was shuffled on the line, Laylah chuckling softly to herself as she listened to his soft murmurs before a cheer sounded.

'I found it,' He informed her; 'But, what is it?'

'My Mum wrote it for you,' She sighed; 'I haven't opened it, it's addressed to you.'

'The pile of letters.'

'Yeh... It was the last one she would've written.'

The line was silent for a few seconds before he spoke again, 'I don't know what to say.'

'You don't have to say anything, but I thought you'd like to read it with your Mum. I don't know. Don't feel like you have to read it.'

'No, I think... I think she'd like that. We both would.'

'Ok... Good.'

It was quiet again for a moment, Laylah's eyes falling shut from fatigue. It was well past two in the morning, the pair having been on the phone for hours; just talking.

'You don't have to stay up with me, you know,' He murmured tiredly.

'If I knew you were sleeping, I wouldn't,' She smiled to herself.

'I might.'

'You're a liar.'

'Am not.'

'Spence, I know you.'

'I just... I wish you were here with me.'

'I know... Maybe, I can be. I'll talk to Emily.'

'Don't be silly.'

'Hey, you flew to Brooklyn for me, I can fly to Houston for you.'

'I love you.'

She chuckled, 'I love you, too.'