16

###

"Revenge is an act of passion, vengeance of justice

"Revenge is an act of passion, vengeance of justice."
Samuel Johnson

###

Laylah gently pushed open the door to Violet's room, peeking inside to find the girl curled up down beside the bed on the floor; her purple dress pulled over her legs. She stared absently ahead of her, looking up at her suddenly when she heard her boots squeak softly on the lino.

'Hi, Violet,' She greeted softly; 'You ok?'

'How is daddy? Can we go soon?' Violet looked at her wide eyed.

'We're working on it... But, I still have a few questions I need to ask you. Ok?'

She opened the cover on the tablet in her hand, turning it on.

'What's that thing?' Violet asked.

'Well, you can look at pictures on it. It's a very cool little device, I can teach you how to use it later if you want.'

'O-Ok.'

'Ok. But, I need you to take a look at these photos for me. Do you know this little girl?'

She held up the photo that Penelope had found of Violet when she was a child, her real name being Amelia.

'Her name is Amelia Hawthorne, and she is from a city called Indianapolis,' She continued when Violet shook her head and swiped to the next photo; 'And these... These are her parents. That's George and Maureen.'

Violet still didn't recognise herself in the photos, cocking her head to the side slightly.

'That little girl is you,' Laylah held up the photo again, watching her closely; 'You're name is Amelia.'

Violet blinked violently, 'Um... My name is Violet.'

'No, sweetheart. Tom took you away from your family when you were only eight... You have been gone for fifteen years. Tom is not your daddy. This man is. And they miss you dearly.'

Laylah watched as she continued to blink, clenching her eyes shut. She sighed, she was dissociating herself with the photos. She had feeling, somewhere within her mind, she knew who these people were. But, due to the trauma and programming she'd been through with Tom, fear stopped herself from remembering.

'I... I can't even begin to understand what you're feeling right now, but you must be scared and confused. It's understandable. I was scared and confused when I lost my baby girl, I didn't understand what was going on,' Laylah tried to meet her eye; 'But, I promise you, Amelia, I am your friend. Ok? And I'm here to help you. I want to help you... You gotta trust me. Ok?'

Amelia nodded once, her body trembling as she watched her closely.

'Ok,' Laylah sent her a kind smile; 'Can you do me a favour? I need you to think back and try really hard to remember. It's ok if you can't, but I need you to try for me.... Did Tom- Did he ever get you pregnant? Did you have a baby, Amelia?'