14

###

" By the will art thou lost, by the will art thou found, by the will art thou free, captive, and bound

By the will art thou lost, by the will art thou found, by the will art thou free, captive, and bound"
Angelus Silesius

###

Laylah's finger tapped the corner of her book as she leant over it, waiting for her lunch to heat up in the microwave. Since her conversation with Penelope, she'd begin to notice more things about Spencer then she would've liked and a lot more about how she was feeling; though she struggled to put a word to it occasionally. She flipped the book upside down on the bench when she heard the ding of the microwave, a steaming coffee sitting on the bench beside it; but, it wasn't for herself, it was for Spencer as he worked at his desk filling out paperwork.

She took out her tupperware container, letting out a string of curses at the burning sensation on her fingertips before it fell from her hands. She let out a frustrated noise as it clattered on the ground, sending her lamb and salad strewn across the floor. She knelt down after slamming the microwave door shut, beginning to pick the now ruined meal from the floor.

'You ok?' Spencer rushed over.

'Yeh,' She shook her head; 'Just got too hot, I guess. Can you pass me the cloth?'

She placed the container on the bench, accepting the cloth her passed her; their fingers brushing gently. She could feel the slight blush on her cheeks, blowing out a soft breath as she wiped the floor.

'Do you want me to go get you something from the cafeteria?' Spencer asked.

'No, it's ok,' She sighed as she pushed herself up to stand; 'The coffee's yours though. I was about to bring it over.'

'Oh- Uh, th-Thanks.'

She sent him a tight smile as she rinsed out the cloth, Spencer remaining beside her.

'You sure you don't want something to eat?' He asked again.

'No- No, it's ok,' She tucked her hair behind her ear; 'Thanks, though.'

'Guys, we have a case,' Hotch stated as he strode past.

They nodded, muttering they were on their way as Laylah turned to dump her meal with a pout. Spencer walked beside her as the made their way to the bullpen, her stomach churning with hunger. She smiled at Derek and JJ as they watched her enter, avoiding Penelope's gaze when she met it for half a second; instantly finding mischief in them.

'Last night, this girl, Gina Bryant, flagged down a police car in St. Louis. She was wearing nothing but a dirty nightgown and she was barefoot,' The blonde moved to sit as she spoke; 'And she told them that she had been kidnapped when she was eight.'

'That girl's gotta be nineteen or twenty,' Derek motioned to the photo on the screen.

'Eighteen. And they confirmed her identity. She was a foster kid who disappeared ten years ago.'