49

###

"A sibling may be the keeper of one's identity, the only person with the keys to one's unfettered, more fundamental self

"A sibling may be the keeper of one's identity, the only person with the keys to one's unfettered, more fundamental self."
Marian Sandmaier

###

JJ chuckled as she tapped Laylah on the shoulder, pointing across the room when the girl looked up at her. Laylah turned her head to look in the direction she was pointing, spotting Emily and Penelope in the bullpen talking. She chuckled to herself, watching the pair for a second before she tossed a pen lid at Spencer; motioning to the windows with her head. 

'Oh, it's begun,' Rossi chuckled as he wandered over with Luke.

'Let's go see what's going on, shall we?' The Alvez man smirked. 

'We gotta play it cool,' Laylah suggested as she shut her book; 'We'll go in one door, you guys in the other.'

They laughed at her as she dragged Spencer up from his seat, waving JJ on as they headed up one side of the platform. She linked her fingers through Spencer's, listening to him chuckle at her as they wandered through the open door trying to look casual. Emily spotted them first, Penelope still standing with her back to them. 

'Hey, we were just looking for you,' Laylah chimed. 

'What's going on?' JJ asked. 

'It's Gabriel,' Spencer motioned to the screen. 

Laylah looked to the picture, 'Huh, it is too.'

'How did... How come you guys know about-' Penelope stammered with a dropped jaw. 

'Uh, she told us about him when she first joined the team,' JJ answered. 

'He flew in this morning, probably looking for money,' Spencer added. 

'Hey. Is there a case?' Luke asked as he and Rossi entered the room; 'What's Tara's brother's picture doing up?'

'Well, he's in town,' Emily shrugged.

'He must want money,' Rossi stated.

Penelope scoffed, 'Come on, the new guy? He knows? How come I was the last one to know?'

'It was an experiment. She wanted to time how long you could keep a private conversation private,' Spencer informed her; 'And you made it twelve hours.'

'Damn. I had you down for six,' Luke mused. 

'Ok, you know what?' Penelope slammed the remote down; 'You guys, I thought you were my friends. But you suck. You all suck. Especially you, new guy. But then you always suck. Newbie.'

Laylah chuckled softly, watching her best friend stomp out of the room. 

'I had fourteen hours. I think I win, right?' Spencer glanced around.