4

###

"All secrets are deep

"All secrets are deep. All secrets become dark. That's in the nature of secrets."
Corey Doctorrow

###

Laylah stood beside JJ as they looked over the evidence board, never speaking; just silently scanning each image. Each DEA agent, each family, each partner. JJ shook her head softly with a sigh, unable to comprehend the agents' sacrifices and how they coped with it.

'Agents,' Matt Lopez strode toward them; 'DNA results are back from the M.E. It appears the skinned face on the first victim, Agent Bowers, belonged to Arvin Cole, repeat drug offender, with multiple arrests for possession of cannabis and PCP.'

'Is he a part of Libertad?' JJ asked.

'It's hard to tell.'

'Well, any drug addict would be a good candidate for Libertad,' Derek shrugged.

'Ok, so Arvin Cole is the one victim we know of who wasn't a DEA agent. Maybe he knew the unsub personally,' JJ suggested.

Derek pulled out his phone and pressed on a contact, letting it dial aloud as he put it on speaker. There was a click on the other end, letting them know the call was in place.

'Hey, baby girl, I need you to look into something for me,' He greeted.

'Tell me it's your melted chocolate eyes, because I'm so there,' Penelope amorously drawled, making Matt look to the other two agents amused.

'Likewise, but first things first, silly girl. Find out everything you can on an Arvin Cole. He's a repeat drug offender from El Paso.'

There was a pause filled with the sound of a keyboard before the blonde spoke again, 'Ooh! I need to tell you something that I found. There was a serial killer investigation among the drug cartel chaos that started back in two thousand and eleven.'

'By whom?' JJ asked.

'A Detective Morales of Ciudad Juarez police department.'

'What'd he find out?' Laylah furrowed her brows in concentration.

'Four bodies over the course of six months were found, all with their faces removed, and the conclusion was it was probably a calling card to a new street gang.'

'Ok, and now where is this Detective now?' JJ queried.

'He's deceased. He had a brain tumour in Mexico City a year ago.'

'Well, did anyone follow up on the investigation?' Derek pressed.

'No. But Detective Morales sent his report to the El Paso police department in case there were any similar victims on the American side of the border.'