28

###

"I imagine one of the reasons people cling to their hates so stubbornly is because they sense once hate is gone, they will be forced to deal with pain

"I imagine one of the reasons people cling to their hates so stubbornly is because they sense once hate is gone, they will be forced to deal with pain."
James Baldwin

###

Laylah stood in Spencer's ensuite, the man still asleep in the bed behind her. Her phone sat beside her with Angel in the line, a towel around her body as she cleaned her face in the mirror. She didn't notice Spencer rousing behind her, his eyes slowly prying themselves open to be met by the beautiful sight before him. He smiled softly to himself, listening to her laugh. It was then he noticed a male's voice coming through the phone, his brows furrowing slightly. 

'Angel, my beautiful boy,' She chuckled; 'Are you serious?'

'Yes, I think so,' Angel replied; 'I'm happy, Aunty Lay. And Mama approves. I want to be happy like you and that doctor.'

'His name is Spencer.'

'I know, I know.'

'And we're not engaged, Angel.'

'One day you will be.'

'Maybe... When are you going to ask her?'

'I don't know... What if- What if she says no because of... Because of my past-' 

'If she does say no because of that, she's not the woman for you. You've come so far, my boy, and yes, you still have a way to go, but you've grown so much and become such an incredible young man that I knew you could be when I first saw you in that hospital.'

'I love you, Aunty Laylah.'

'I love you, too, Angel. You make sure you get someone to video the proposal, I want to see her reaction and yours when she does say yes.'

'You really think she will?'

'I do.'

'Ok... I gotta go, Aunty Lay. Class is about to start, I'll talk to you later.'

'Alright. Bye, Angel. Love you.'

'Love you, too. Bye.'

She smiled as she hung up the phone, wiping her face with the hand towel. 

'Was that Angel?' Spencer's voice made her jump.

She met his eye in the mirror as he stood in the doorway, readjusting her towel so it didn't fall. 

'Y-Yeh,' She replied, a little flustered. 

Her eyes raked down his shirtless torso, a new development that had occurred in the last couple of days. He'd shocked her the first time he'd done it, but she wasn't complaining. He smiled softly, stepping up behind her to press a kiss to the top of her head as he wrapped his arms around her.