45

###

"Grief is like an ocean; it comes in waves, ebbing and flowing

"Grief is like an ocean; it comes in waves, ebbing and flowing. Sometimes the water is calm, and sometimes it is overwhelming. All we can learn to do is swim."
Vicki Harrison

###

The food on the plate remained untouched as Laylah pushed it around, no appetite for food. It'd been a few days now since her mother had passed, but it wasn't getting any easier for her. She laid awake at night, lost in her mind, then she hung around the house during the day; never leaving, never getting out of her pyjamas. It was rare she came back to reality anymore, it was for brief glimpses to check in on her father and eat, like she was now.

'Are you going to ring Spencer back?' Leon asked.

'Maybe,' She whispered.

'Sweetheart, you can't keep ignoring him.'

'I'm not. I just need time.'

'He wants to help you, Laylah.'

'I'm fine.'

'No, you're not. Don't think I haven't noticed the lack of sleep you're getting, or how caught up in your head you've been.'

'I'm ok, Dad. It should be me worrying about you.'

'It should be equal. And you better be ready to talk to him because his flight just landed.'

'What?'

'I invited him over. He rang and rang, even rung the house. So, I invited him over.'

'Dad, wh- No. I-I can't see him right now. Dad, why would you do that?'

'Because I know you, my daughter. And you're not coping. And you're not coming to me because I am also struggling, right now. So, you stay up in your head where you can think things through. But, you're not alone anymore, sweetheart. You have incredible friends, all of which were ready to come see you, and Spencer. We will get through this, but you can't keep sitting around this house like a doll.'

Tears welled in her eyes, 'I'm sorry.'

'No, don't be sorry. You have nothing to be sorry for, I just want to make sure you're ok. And I can't give you that right now because nor am I. Your friends can.'

'No threatening Spence, remember?'

'No threatening the boy.'

'And you promise it's just Spencer?'

He smiled knowingly, 'And Penelope. She seems nice.'

'Oh, Dad.'

'Well, Aaron is away and David is unable to leave because he's acting chief.'

'So, it's just Penn and Spence?'

'Yes, I swear.'

The doorbell chimed, Laylah's eyes widening as she looked down at her attire. Leon chuckled softly, reaching forward to squeeze her hand.