51

###

"God sometimes takes us into troubled waters, not to drown us, but to cleanse us

"God sometimes takes us into troubled waters, not to drown us, but to cleanse us." 
Unknown

###

Laylah sat on Spencer's desk, her hands tucked beneath her thighs as she looked across as JJ who was talking. Spencer's hand was on her knee as he sat in his desk chair, thumb subconsciously dragging back and forth of her black dress pants as he too listened to the blonde talk. JJ sat on the opposite end of the desk, Luke behind her and Penelope in front of them all. 

'Does anyone know when agent fill in the blank is gonna start?' Penelope let out a dramatic sigh; 'Because I cannot begin my detailed, rumour based background check without a name.'

'You couldn't find anything out with all your super powers?' Luke teased. 

'Oh, ha ha, newbie. It's not like I haven't tried. I checked with all the MEs in other units to see if any of their agents are transferring over. Nobody knows diddley-squat.'

'Well, I feel like Emily's been poring over these resumes forever,' JJ shrugged; 'I mean, the brass has to approve a new agent soon, right?'

'All I know is, whoever he or she is, they'd better be nice. That is the most important thing to me.'

'To all of us,' Spencer nodded. 

'Amen,' Laylah murmured, a tingling feeling of sickness whirling in her stomach at the thought of someone new. 

'So whoever this well-qualified mystery person is, I say once they join, we change our name from The Magnificent Seven to The Awesome Eight. Huh? It's perfect,' Penelope grinned.

Laylah screwed up her nose as she failed to hold in her chuckle, looking to her friends as they all made sounds of hesitance. 

'Well... I'm declaring a dictatorship. You guys don't get a vote. Especially you, newbie,' Penelope stated firmly with a teasing smile. 

The door to Emily's office opened, herself and Rossi stepped out to look at them. 

'Sorry, guys, no news, but we have a case,' Emily informed them. 

'What?' Penelope's brows furrowed before her phone chimed; 'Oh, yeah, we do. This isn't good.'

Laylah pushed herself off the desk once Spencer had stood, the man waiting for her as the rest of the team wandered up to the bullpen. He smiled down at her, rubbing his sweaty palms on his pants. He'd come to a conclusion not long ago, one that would change his life forever, and it was making him extremely nervous around the girl beside him. Especially because he wasn't sure how to go about it. They split off to sit at the table, Laylah coming to sit between Luke and Rossi; sending a smile to the older man.