57

###

"Time moves in one direction, memory in another

"Time moves in one direction, memory in another. "
William Gibson

###

Laylah stared at the scattered photographs in front of her, resting gently upon the carpet of the motel room. The dim lamp creating an orange light around her, the lamp shade creating patterns on the floor. Her phone rested on her leg, Spencer's name on the screen.

'So, she didn't take it well?' She asked.

'No,' Spencer sighed on the phone; 'She locked herself in our room and refused to come out. But, Miss Campbell, she took it really well.'

'Maybe you found a keeper.'

'Only if my mother opens up to her.'

'It takes time, Spence. Give it a few days.'

'Yeh. I'm trying.'

'So, are you going to fly out? Or stay there?'

'Why? Do you need me?'

'It's not up to me.'

'No, Laylah. Do you need me?'

She sighed, rubbing her forehead as her gaze came to land on the photo of the tattoo.

'Can you work the tattoo problem from home?' She asked; 'It's like it's on the tip of my tongue and I just can't figure out what it is.'

'Yeh, of course,' He nodded; 'You need to sleep though.'

'In a second. So, we discovered that both George Findley and Helen Bollinger were well respected and looked up to by the people that knew them. We're thinking that maybe be our unsub's criteria, we just can't figure out why.'

'He might feel that he, himself, is looked down upon by these people.'

'But, how? George was a street liaison and Helen was the president of the PTA.'

'He's got have crossed paths with them somehow. I'll talk to Garcia.'

'Ok.'

'Go to bed, baby.'

'I can't... Not without you here. It's like you're... You're my teddy bear that I need to sleep.'

He chuckled with her, listening to the soft sound of her sniffle.

'That's a new one,' He mused.

'I thought you'd like it,' She smiled to herself.

'I do. It's cute.'

She laughed softly, curling her arms around her legs as she brought them up to her chest.

###