59

###

"Nothing is more sad than the death of an illusion

"Nothing is more sad than the death of an illusion." 
Arthur Koestler

###

Laylah eventually sat back, wiping her face as she sniffled; looking around at the concerned faces of the team. Her eyes widened, another sob leaving her lips as they began to spew out multiple apologies; shaking her head. Spencer remained knelt in front of her, glancing to his team as Stephen guided them out of the room. He nodded to the man in thanks before turning his attention back to his girlfriend, kissing the top of her head.

'I'm so sorry,' She whispered.

'What's going on?' He asked as he pulled out a chair to sit on.

His finger swapped to his thumb, dragging it back and forth over her skin.

'Nothing, I'm ok,' She wiped her eye.

'Laylah, you don't just have a panic attack for no reason,' He spoke lowly; 'What're you thinking about?'

She shook her head, licking her lips as she shifted in her seat.

'Hey, look at me,' He stated firmly; 'Laylah.'

Her gaze moved to him, holding his eyes before she looked away anxiously.

'I'm... I'm just worried about you,' She whispered; 'Trying to find ways to help you and your Mum. As well as this case, and the emotions I can't decipher, it just got too much.'

'I caused this?' He sighed.

'No- No, you didn't. I did. This isn't your fault, Spence.'

'But, you- You're worried about me. I've told you I'm fine, Laylah.'

'You're obviously not and I'm not the only one who's worried. The whole team is because they love you, I love you.'

'Well, I'll tell them to stop. I'm ok, I'm doing perfectly fine. So, you need to stop worrying about me, especially if it's going to cause panic attacks like that. Just stop.'

'I won't stop. You know why I won't stop? Because I love you, Spencer Reid, and I would do anything to make this easier for you. I'm only looking for ways to help you. Is that so bad? Because I would do anything for you. And I didn't mean for this to happen, I can't just pick and choose when I have a panic attack.'

'Laylah, my mother is now going to be a constant part of my life. She's not going anywhere. So, you need to get over your jealousy-'

'Jealousy? You think I'm jealous? I'm not trying to ship your Mum off to another facility, Spencer. I'm trying to find a way to make it easier at home for you, so you can get some damn sleep and eat properly, instead of walking into work everyday looking like a zombie.'