46

###

"Love brings many things, sometimes even pain

"Love brings many things, sometimes even pain."
Unknown

###

Laylah walked behind the coffin with her hands linked in front of her, her head low as tears dripped out from behind her dark sunglasses. Her black dress blew about in the wind that had formed, her brown curls hanging down her back. Her father helped carry his wife's coffin, with the help of old family members she hadn't seen in a long time; cousins, uncles, aunts. Few she actually remembered. 

She looked up slightly as they approached the plot where her mother would be laid to rest, her team standing there amongst the large crowd that had gathered. She smiled sadly, her face crumbling as she struggled to hold her composure. Derek stood with them, watching her from his place beside Spencer. JJ, Penelope, Tara and Emily stood in black dresses, Derek, Spencer, Rossi and Luke in their suits; Hotch unable to get away from his TDY. They were all there for her. To support their friend. 

Laylah was lead to her seat by Donna, hugging herself as she sat. She glanced back at Spencer, meeting his eye pleadingly. He nodded to her, letting her know that he was there if she needed him. She sighed softly, turning back around as her father came to sat beside her. She took his paperbag hand, squeezing it tight as she let out a shaky breath. She could feel the uneven amount of emotions swirling with in her, growing strong with every passing minute. It made her uneasy, sitting on the very verge of a panic attack as she tried to control her breathing. 

The priest began his spiel, Laylah barely able to hear the words over the beating drum of her heart in her ears. Her forefinger began to tap against her father's hand, the free hand thrumming against her thigh subconsciously as she began to think of all the different future scenarios she'd need her mother for, the times when she'd need to turn to her for advice and remember she was no longer there. Her wedding day, the moment she'd find out she was pregnant, the birth of her first child; Grace's first grandchild. She wouldn't be there when she needed someone to babysit, or help her with school runs, someone to cook. There'd be no more whole family Christmases, or Easters, or birthdays. No visiting Grandma and Pa, it'd just be Pa.

That was her next line of worry, her father. She knew he was used to living along by now, but now with Grace gone, she didn't know he'd do with his days. She didn't know who he'd turn to when he was feeling lonely, when she wasn't able to answer the phone. She didn't know how he was going to cope with the loss of his wife, his best friend, when she had to return to work; return to a city four hours away. It'd just be Leon, by himself in that house with no one to turn to. 

Heat suddenly surrounded her hand, slowly removing the cloud of black that had seemingly covered her eyes. She blinked once, twice, three times before she was able to see the metallic navy coffin before her; noting the pain shooting through her heart. She slowly looked down to where the heat was warmest, finding a hand linked with her own as a finger rose and fell to a steady beat against the back of it. Laylah raised her head as the noises around her finally came off mute, the priest's words, her father's soft sobs, the faint sniffles from behind her.