63

###

"The illusion of control makes the helplessness seem more palatable

"The illusion of control makes the helplessness seem more palatable."
Allie Brosh

###

Laylah jumped when a hand rubbed her back, her eyes shooting open as she sat up abruptly. She looked around the now bright office, squinting as she rubbed her eyes; drawing in a deep breath. Old books and coffee. She stretched her arms out in front of her, finally peering up at JJ as she smiled softly down at her. The girl looked around then, realising she was still at Spencer's desk; the very place she'd fallen asleep last night working his case. 

'Were you here all night?' JJ passed her a cup of coffee.

She glanced over all her paperwork; 'It would appear so... I must've just crashed.'

JJ's eyes raked over the mess across the desk, smiling sadly as she looked back to the girl.

'Yeh. I still can't wrap my head around it, either,' She shook her head. 

'Yeh,' Laylah sighed. 

'Me, too,' Penelope wandered over. 

'I, uh, I took a change of clothes to the precinct for him,' JJ informed them. 

'Did you see him?' 

JJ shook her head, 'I left it with Emily. She said he was finally getting a little sleep. Now part of me's glad I didn't see him locked up. I don't think I could take it.' 

'Oh, our sweet, sweet boy wonder.' 

'He's strong. He's gonna be ok,' Rossi stepped up beside the desk; 'We got a new swab from him and we're running it now.' 

'What happened to the comprehensive tox panel they ran in Mexico?' JJ queried. 

'With the red tape between jurisdictions, who knows if or when we'll get those results,' Laylah shook her head.

'He should be here. We need him. His mum needs him,' Penelope whimpered; 'His mother. How's his mother?'

'Well, she cried at first. Said it was all her fault he was even down there. But later she kept asking when Spencer would be home.' 

'Well, maybe it's a blessing she can forget,' Rossi shrugged. 

'What's our next step?' JJ asked.

'Well, getting the kid home on bail pending trial.'

'Ok. That's a good baby step. I can focus on that,' Penelope nodded.

'And I'm ready, willing, and able to post that bail no matter how high they set it.' 

'I love you so hard.' 

She wrapped her arms around the man, who nodded to the tight smile Laylah sent him. JJ rubbed her arm, but all eyes went to Penelope when her phone chimed.