37

###

"Loss and possession, death and life are one

"Loss and possession, death and life are one. There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."
Hilaire Belloc

###

Laylah laid asleep curled up in one of the chair on the jet, her arms wrapped around her legs as her head rested against the wall. Spencer sat across from her, smiling softly at how peaceful she did indeed look; her dark hair a mess on the top of her head. 

'Hey, we turned. Why are we turning?' Luke asked as he walked in from the kitchenette. 

'Because we're not going home yet,' Rossi replied.

Spencer leant forward, shaking Laylah's shoulder gently as he tried to wake her. 

'Laylah,' He spoke softly; 'Laylah, you need to wake up.'

She groaned as her eyelids fluttered open, 'What? What's going on?'

'We have another case.'

'Already? We're not even home yet.'

'Come on.'

She yawned as she pushed herself up to stand, rubbing her eyes as she moved to sit upon the sideboard. 

'This morning in Los Angeles the bodies of two children were found in an abandoned building that burned down,' Rossi informed them. 

'Are these the missing kids that Hotch is consulting on?' Tara asked.

'No positive I.Ds, but that's what he's thinking. Garcia, are you ready?'

'Born that way, sir,' Penelope replied as she appeared on the screens throughout the jet; 'Ok, this is the horrible part of my job where I stream this sadness to your tablets. Fourteen year old Hannah Robertson disappeared five days ago from Irvine, California. That little guy is eleven year old Max Wasserman. He disappeared from Anaheim, California, yesterday.'

'Hannah was last seen on her way to school, and Max was on his way home from taekwondo class,' JJ informed them.

'Both kids were abducted in broad daylight in low-risk neighbourhoods, this guy's got skills,' Luke noted. 

'You know, I'd bet he's using some kind of a ruse so that way he can hide in plain sight,' Tara added. 

'A blitz attack would be faster and intimidating. He would need that to establish control,' Rossi stated. 

'Either way, he's patient and organised. He probably stalked them and learned their daily routines,' Luke nodded. 

'Wait, Garcia. Two years ago, San Diego,' Spencer offered. 

'Yeah, way ahead of you, brainiac,' Penelope replied; 'Lisa Ruiz and James Jefferson. Both runaways and foster kids with police records, uh, but their bodies were discovered several months apart.'