35

###

"Anger is my meat

"Anger is my meat. I sup on myself and so shall starve with feeding."
William Shakespeare

###

Laylah walked hand in hand with Spencer as they entered the office with JJ, the man rattling on about his trip to Paris with his mother. It'd been two months since she'd visited Brooklyn. Her mother was doing ok, but the risk of her falling seriously ill again lingered. She'd stayed for a month, helping her father tidy the house and beginning to ready things for when the time did come. 

'Then we visited the Louvres and the Eiffel tower, and the best part of all was that on the flight back Mum walked me through every moment of it. I didn't have to prompt her,' Spencer smiled. 

'Oh, Spence, that's so great,' JJ sighed relived. 

'The latest research shows that diets high in omega-three fatty acids help combat dementia, which we gorged on in Paris. I mean, honestly, if she hadn't been clinically diagnosed with Alzheimer's, I'd just think she was a little absent-minded.'

'So are you gonna keep her in the same facility?'

'Yeah, she really likes it there. What did I miss while I was gone? Tell me about Agent Alvez.'

'Uh, well, um, let's see, he bounced between different divisions before joining the fugitive task force,' Rossi answered as he wandered over. 

'Former army ranger, right?'

'Covered most of Iraq's worst hellholes. He's a first in, last out kind of guy.'

'What does Garcia think about him?'

'Oh, it's hilarious,' Laylah chuckled; 'Just wait and see.'

'How's your mum, Laylah?' JJ asked. 

'She's ok. It's simply a waiting game that I hate playing.'

JJ sent her a sad smile, nodding her head as Laylah fiddled with her fingers as they laid between Spencer's.

'Guys, Hotch needs us,' Penelope informed them as she rushed past. 

They nodded, following after her to the bullpen. Penelope slipped out the back door, Rossi and JJ following after her as the couple remained to see what they were about to walk into. 

'Hey. Luke Alvez,' A deep voice sounded behind them. 

They turned to find Luke stepped into the room, Laylah smiling to him as Spencer did the same almost shyly. 

'Oh, hi. I'm Dr Spencer Reid,' Spencer replied.

'Ah. No handshaking, right? Your, uh, reputation precedes you,' Luke smiled. 

'So does yours. It says here that you caught our next fugitive, Daniel Cullen, three years ago. During his sentencing statement he said; I don't kill because I don't have to. He sounds like an injustice collector. How'd you finally catch him?'