Arjun's Past

Arjun's POV

I wanted to tell Radhika everything that had happened in my life. I expected her to ask me about my past, but she chose to remain silent. I was amazed to know that she never wants to make me feel bad about my problem, so she didn't ask about my past. I was euphoric about her unconditional love for me, but still I want to let her know everything about me. 

Already she suffered a lot today so I thought to give her some pleasant time before I confess my past. Immediately I planned for a dinner date at my beach house. I knew she loved to spend time on the beach. So perfectly I planned everything to surprise her. 

I took her to the venue without a clue of where we were going, as I expected she was astonished. I was glad she liked the whole setup. She looked tired. I remember she didn't eat the whole day after breakfast so, I forced her to eat her favourite food with my hands, I was extremely happy to take care of her. Always I dreamt of these days. I never expected it would happen.

After dinner now I'm ready to open up my dark past. I know only she can handle me and soothe my pain. We both sat together holding our hands at the stone bench on the terrace. I know it is so painful for me to disclose but, she has the right to know, so it is a must. I took a deep breath and started to tell my story.

*****************************************

Arjun's Flashback 3 years ago....

I completed my post graduation in Canada and I was planning to return to India after a week. It was my last day of examination. So we all friends planned to party together, later we decided to make a road trip for the next two days as a farewell trip for us.

That night we all gathered at a pub and celebrated our farewell party. We were 5 friends Ria, Vansh, Nikil, Mamta and myself. In this group already Vansh and Mamta were couples. They were in a serious relationship throughout our college days and decided to take their relationship to the next level after returning to India. Nikil, who is flirtatious in nature, never believes in serious relationships. 

Then Ria, who is my bestie from school days, always sticks to me despite the situation. I like her very much. She is my best friend and always close to my heart. She always makes others laugh with her humour. The place she stays will be filled with happiness and positivity that's her speciality. Such a sweet soul, she was the one who tried to cheer me up after my parents demise. I am always proud to be her best friend.

We all enjoyed whole night by partying and went to our respective apartments. Almost all were drunk except Ria, she was a tee-totaler. I didn't drink much as I know I was responsible for bring them all back to their room safely. Mamta and Vansh planned to stay together at Vansh's apartments and Nikil has to stay with me without an option, because Vansh and he share their apartment. So, I offered to drop Ria next at her apartment and I planned to take Nikil with me at last.

We reached Ria's apartment, but there was no sign of her to get down. I was half sleepy as well, alcohol started to affect me. 

I looked at her and puzzled, her gaze was fixed on me, she gestured to me to get down. Nikhil was asleep so, without disturbing him we got down, she moved past me and  looked at me. 

I walked near her and asked, "What??" 

She whispered something "......" and smiled shyly.

I was stunned with her reply, I never thought like this about her. 

Wait... wait... am I imagining anything??

Did I hear it properly?? 

I pinched my arms and rubbed my ears.

But she looked super cool and her smile widened. 

She said "Arjun I know you must be in shock but I want to tell you this . I was expecting a right chance and a moment. We will be returning shortly so, don't want to prolong it, let me make it clear. Yes Arjun She took a breath..." 

"I love you.. Arjun.. I love you so much" 

She continued to say, " I never knew when it started, but I knew I was falling for you gradually and I've been in love with you for years and years, each and every moment of my life I want to spend with you".

She confessed everything with a twinkle in her eyes. After a moment she looked at me questioningly, I know she waited for my reply but I was speechless as well as confused whether she was saying the truth or playing pranks with me. 

Little I know was that she never behaved like any ordinary girl, that's her speciality that was the one thing I admired in her, otherwise we couldn't be best friends for more than a decade. With a confused look 

"I asked her, are you joking???? " 

"Ria... are you upto any pranks??" She was taken back. I saw a hurt in her eyes.

Straight away she said " I crack jokes, I do pranks, I make others laugh but I'm serious about my love for you, I'm also a normal girl after all with common feelings, so don't take my love lightly. Think and tell me before we leave India, I will be waiting for your positive reply". 

She wiped her tears and walked away with larger steps. I was standing there like a statue. Slowly I regained my senses.

Dammit!! What did you do Arjun??

How can you hurt her??

You did hurt your best friend, how can you make fun of her feelings??

It's not right, I should first apologise to her. But the damage was already done and she stormed inside her apartment. So, I thought to talk to her about this the next morning and to make her clear everything without hurting her. Afterall she is my bestie from childhood, so I can't see her broken.

To be continued...

_________________