𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟖: 𝐏𝐫𝐨𝐦𝐢𝐬𝐞𝐬

Y/N POV

"What?" I asked, leaning forward in my chair. I felt my hands grip my arms as they were crossed. Tony placed his hand on my shoulder, keeping me calm. It wasn't that I hated nor disliked NCT and their company, so much as deep down, I feared them. I feared the possible things that could happen to any of the Shades of I ever sent them even close to their group.

"Hear me out, Angel," Lieutenant spoke. "NCT is one of the few groups working with the government and police departments, and hasn't been targeted by these shootings yet. They also haven't been asked to join this investigation, but don't they have a hit on L Corp? I have no doubt you're suspecting Mr. Lam is the mastermind behind these attacks in order to get what he wants," he raised his brow, awaiting my response.

"I agree that L Corp is a large suspect in these crimes, but I don't think Mr. Lam should take all the blame just yet," I muttered out.

"What?" The three men questioned, each in a different tone.

"You forget he has a son," I said, staring into each of their eyes. "While Mr. Lam may have been upset with me for not sacrificing my Shades, his son might've been the one to come up with most of the plan. I know Mr. Lam would dare challenge me, and I know Jaeho," I said, my tone harshening at the mention of his name. "His father is nowhere near smart enough to execute these crimes the way they have been done, plus he fears what I'm capable of."

Each of them slowly nodded, acknowledging my point.

"So what are you planning on doing to confirm it's L Corp who's behind these crimes?" Lieutenant Jung asked.

A troublesome smirk appeared on my face, and Luka smiled, already knowing how I think and what my expression meant.

"What we do best," I said confidently. "Divide and conquer, and kill if we have to."

"And what about NCT? I still need you to investigate them to see if they're incorporated in the mysterious third party behind the busting of these crimes," Lieutenant Jung reminded me.

My eyes slowly met Lieutenant Jung's. I could see a small bead of sweat form at his hairline. I'm scaring him. I felt as my eyes pierced through his. Tony gave my shoulder a light squeeze, not to calm me down, but to comfort me. I wasn't glaring at Lieutenant Jung because I was angry at him, it was to keep my own fear a secret. NCT is capable of unspeakable things, and as are we, but I don't want those unspeakable things to happen to a single one of my Shades.

I inhaled, resting back in my chair as I took my time to think. The three of them waited on my response, their eyes focused on me.

"We'll do it," I finally said. Lieutenant Jung finally relaxed his tense posture until I spoke again. "On one condition, you have to promise protection for my company and the Shades at my manor," I paused before finishing my statement, "because I'll be the one going undercover."

"What?!" Luka and Tony said in unison. Luka's tone was loud, outraged and hurt, where as Tony's was soft and stern, pained.

I exhaled, hurt by my own statement. I know exactly what I'm choosing to do and how I'm going to do it, the only thing I'm unsure of is what'll come of me if I do this.

"Do you even know what you're getting yourself into?!" Luka shouted, standing as he shoved his chair away from my desk. "This could be a suicide mission, Angel, I am NOT letting you do this. I'll go," he refuted.

"I'm aware," I said sternly. I forced my eyes toward his, seeing the pain and anger in them. "I'm also aware that you're not going in my place-"

"But A-"

"Do NOT cut me off again, Luka, that's an order," I said, not tolerating his refusal.

He got silent and looked away from me, I could see the tears welling up in his eyes as the possible scenarios played in his mind. Tony refused to say a word as he looked down, removing his hand from my shoulder.

"I'll be the one to go and spy within their company and that's final," I stated.

Lieutenant Jung finally read the atmosphere, each of us giving off a different, yet equally painful aura.

"Thank you, Angel, I'll keep my promise," he said as he stood to leave.

Lieutenant Jung bowed and I returned the gesture as he exited my office. I looked over at Luka who was fighting back tears, and was now shaking his head.

"I'll be at the manor," he said quietly, trying to keep his voice from breaking.

My office door slammed as he made his way out. I too, stood as I prepared to take my leave. It was nearing 10pm and it was time I headed back to the manor soon.

"I better head back too," I quietly said, not able to bring myself to face Tony.

As I began my walk, I felt his hand gently grab mine, and suddenly his chest was against my back. He wrapped his large arms around my waist and rested his head in the crook of my neck.

"Tony.." I said softly, placing my free hand over his as he clung to my waist.

"I know I can't stop you from going, I never planned on stopping you," he started. His voice was low and soft, almost a whisper. "Just promise me you'll return safely.." he muttered.

My heart broke at his words, and a tear escaped my eye. I inhaled and responded, not allowing myself to break, as I knew, I needed to stay strong.

"I promise."

A/N: I hope everyone is doing well ♡'・ᴗ・'♡
Please check out my other Jaedynn FF "The Boy in the Bookstore," and remember to vote and comment your favorite parts & alsooooo, stay strong always <3