Chapter 28: Jaeho

Y/N POV

"Wait, isn't this-"

"Yep, the restaurant you'd planned for us to go on that 'date'," Jaehyun said, cutting me off.

"I wouldn't call it a date," I mumbled.

"In my mind it would've been," he replied, smiling at me.

——————

"Order anything you'd like," he said as we studied the menu.

"If you're paying, I will," I replied, glancing up at him.

In that small moment, his eyes met mine. He smirked at me in response, his expression giving me the answer I already knew.

——————

After we ordered our food, the two of us relaxed our postures. He slightly leaned back in his chair, crossing his arms. I watched his eyes carefully analyze my blank expression. I leaned forward over the table, resting my chin on my palm. A small smirk played on my lips as I thought of something to say.

"Enjoying the view?" I asked.

"I am, actually, yes," he replied.

He leaned forward, copying my posture. He grinned as I scoffed and leaned back in my seat.

"Are you aware of the stock party in two weeks?" Jaehyun asked, breaking our small moment of silence.

"Hm?" I asked, confused.

"Our company will be hosting a formal party for the shareholders within the company's stocks. All of the higher ups in the company will be attending, along with representatives from S.K. Group, SVT Entertainment, and L Corp," he stated.

My brows furrowed in confusion at his words.

"First, what do I have to do with this party, I'm only your secretary. Second, I thought NCT Industries had cut all ties with L Corp and bought back their stocks?" I questioned.

He nodded, agreeing with my statement.

"The Director of L Corp requested that he be present at the party in order to try and persuade one of us to allow him to regain their stocks," he answered.

"Wait a second," I paused. "Director? You don't mean-"

"I do," he said, cutting me off.

Jaeho Lam, the son of CEO Mr. Lam, and heir to L Corp. Jaeho and I go back a few years, before I knew he was nothing short of a sick asshole. When we first met, my company was beginning to take off. I was aware of his father's company, but neither of us originally connected for business reasons, or so I thought.

Jaeho and I dated for some time in our senior year of high school. We lasted through our freshman year of college before it came to an abrupt halt. He used to be so sweet and gentle, but once I found out his true motives were to make profit from my ideas and my company, I immediately left him. It was heartbreaking to see the man I once loved turn into a short tempered and cunning monster. Over time, I got over it, becoming colder and smarter. I needed to be if I ever wanted to remain two steps ahead of him.

I snapped back from my thoughts and scoffed at Jaehyun's statement.

"Why would you allow such a foolish proposal?" I asked.

"So you could investigate him," he answered.

"I beg your pardon?" I replied, confused.

"That's where you come in," he began. "I'm assuming you also suspect L Corp to be behind some of these crimes, knowing their past troubles. I'm also aware of your, uhm, history with Director Lam," he said, clearing his throat. "You can use that to your advantage to discreetly interrogate him, but only if you're comfortable with it, of course," he finished.

I nodded, understanding his every word.

"So you did a background check on me?" I asked with a small smirk.

"For company reasons," he answered, avoiding my gaze.

A moment of silence passed as I was given time to think about his proposal.

"I'll do it," I said, looking into his eyes.

The moment the words rolled off my tongue and out of my mouth, a handsome grin grew on Jaehyun's face. His dimples deepened as the grin grew. How cute, I thought.

"Ah, but Mr. Jung, are you sure that's the only reason you're asking me to attend?" I teasingly asked.

A small smirk played on his lips at my words. The smirk then turned into a slightly shy smile.

"Hm? Oh," he said, lightly blushing. "Well, it would be nice if you'd also attend as my plus one," he mumbled.

"Oh? So your date?" I teased.

He cleared his throat, trying to hide the smile growing on his face.

"Yes, my date," he concluded. "Oh, and one more thing," he added. "It's okay to drop the formalities outside of the office, beautiful," he finished, smiling at me.

I returned the smile, just as our food had arrived.

What a truly interesting man.