Chapter 36: Feelings

Y/N POV

I walked past Jaehyun's desk, strolling straight into my office without a word. I wasn't in the mood to speak to anyone after visiting the manor last night. He noticed my change in demeanor and immediately looked alarmed, but he didn't say anything. I could only assume he didn't want to push me since I wasn't talking. For the first time, I closed the door behind me after entering my small office. I finally sat down in my chair, and felt my emotionless composure begin to break. Last night... was hard.

It's funny how you could go from thinking someone is your soulmate to knowing you'll never end up together in a matter of days. It felt more like minutes than days. I think deep down both of us knew at some point that whatever we were would never work.

I dropped my face into my palm, a silent chuckle escaping my lips. I looked up from my palm, my laughter continuing as small tears streamed down my face. I know this looks stupid, he'll still be my right hand, but he won't be what I wanted him to be. What I was hoping he'd be.

My laughter died down and my tears slowed as my mini break down was coming to a halt. I heard a light knock on my door. I looked up and was faced with a faintly smiling Jaehyun in my doorway. His small grin immediately turned to a worried expression as soon as he noticed I was unhappy. His worried expression turned to a calm stare as he mustered up the courage to speak.

"Why don't we have dinner later..? My treat," he requested.

I softly nodded, forcing a small and quick smile before starting my work. He slowly nodded, I could feel that my silence was bothering him. I knew he wanted to know what was wrong, but refused to pry. I appreciated him for respecting my silence.

"Want me to leave it open?" He quietly asked, gesturing toward the door.

I hesitated before he continued.

"I won't ask what's upsetting you, but it would make me feel better if you kept it open. If I closed it and you cried again, I'd feel at fault for letting you cry alone. So, is it okay if I leave it open?"

His words sent a small wave of shock throughout my body. I didn't realize he cared so much. I nodded in response to his question, a 'thank you' in my eyes. He softly smiled before returning to his desk.

———————

10:03PM

Jaehyun POV

She must've had a rough night. I glanced up from the few pages before me over at Y/N. Her head was gently resting on her arm as she rested over her small stack of papers. Something must really be bugging her, she never falls asleep at work.

I got up from my desk and quietly entered her office, packing up her belongings. I took the papers she had been working on and placed them within my own bag. She's worked hard enough, I'll do it along with my other manuscripts tonight. After gathering my things and hers, I called for the valet worker to bring my car just outside the company building.

I gently brushed strands of hair away from her face. Despite her flirtatious remarks, her words were half empty compliments. Each time she called me handsome, she meant it, but I could see there was something more. Yes, I was handsome, but I wasn't the one who held her heart. In the few months I've gotten to know this troublesome woman, she's only become more and more intriguing to me.

We don't know each other too well, I still have much to learn about her, but she's never felt like a stranger to me. It sounds odd, but it's a feeling I've never been able to shake from my mind. From the moment I laid eyes on her, I felt as though I'd known her my entire life, and I'll continue to know her until the day I die. It was an instant connection. While her body and beauty had attracted my attention, it was her personality that was truly captivating to me.