Chapter 93: Backtrack

Y/N POV

"So you're not gonna tell me how you knew they were gonna be there tonight?" Ryoto suddenly asked as he took a seat beside me.

He draped a soft blanket around my shoulders, Tony watching him as he did so from the plush chair across from us.

"It's not that I knew exactly," I began. "It was just a hunch that I happened to guess correctly on."

"What made you think so?" He asked quietly.

I glanced up, noticing how their eyes were focused on me. I could see the look of curiosity in Tony's eyes as he patiently waited on my answer.

"After we spoke, I couldn't sleep," I said quietly. "I realized that upon every attack, I was away. As of now, I've eliminated myself as the target of any form of danger. Tony came to mind once I realized that in my being here, I've once again been away from a possible murder scene, but it left Tony all alone."

I paused for a short moment, contemplating how to word my next statement.

"The night Daisuke was shot, he hadn't been left alone since," I stated. "Aside from dropping me off here, he was always with someone. There was never a chance or guarantee that whoever got him the first time would have a clear shot the second. Therefore, someone else would've had to have been targeted in his place-"

"Me," Tony spoke.

"Yes, exactly," I nodded.

"They could've chosen anyone," Ryoto reminded. "How'd you know it would be Tony?"

"That was the simple part," I stated. "The night of the stock party, Tony was attacked with a form of blade while everyone else was distracted by the shootout. I think they figured that someone would come to get the hostages while everyone's attention was somewhere else. Tony just so happened to be the one to play hero, and they chose him as the next target. They also must've thought that he would've been semi easy to eliminate since he was alone at the hospital, yet they still brought backup."

"So when the knife came into play?" Tony questioned, thinking out loud.

"They were ready for close combat," Ryoto finished. "Ready to kill."

"The only question I don't seem to have a clear answer to is why," I said looking down at slightly bruised hands. "Why come after the people I'm close to, or the Shades, instead of me directly?"

I glanced around the room, the silence weighing heavily on each of us.

"Are any of your clients in debt? Maybe they thought getting rid of someone your close to, forcing you to take time off, would give them more time to pay off the expense," Ryoto suggested.

I shook my head, immediately dismissing the idea.

"Debt has never been an issue, and not a single one of my clients is smart enough to plan something like this," I replied. "However, whoever it was, we need to get rid of them as soon as possible before any more lives are lost."