Chapter 57: Nora

Y/N POV

Her words made me stop what I was doing, freezing in place.

"You remind me of my daughter."

Those six words sent a wave of shock through my body. The last person to say those words to me, who treated me as their own, meant the world to me...

And that world was taken away from me in an instant.

That incident was the sole reason I assembled my own mafia, the reason why I rarely get close to anyone.

"Ms. Kang?" Mrs. Kim called out. "Ah-! I'm sorry, Miss, I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable-"

"It's alright, Mrs. Kim," I said softly, trying to put her at ease.

She must've noticed that it startled me.

"The bandages," I said, finishing up in the bathroom. "You brought them for my wrists, correct? Why don't you tell me more about her while you wrap them?"

She hesitated before politely nodding with a sweet smile.

"I suppose it's better than silence," she agreed.

She sat and talked about her daughter for what felt like hours, but was actually minutes. Many people would've thought that my attention span or patience would've run out by now, but I listened closely to her every word. The wraps shouldn't have taken as long as they did, but I could tell it gave her an excuse to stay and talk.

She needed this.

Her daughter's name was Nora. It's a foreign name since it's the name Mrs. Kim and her husband agreed on before he passed away a few months before her birth. He was from San Diego, California, and they met while Mrs. Kim was vacationing.

"It was love at first sight," she said.

Nora grew up bright and successful, as did I. I watched her eyes glimmer when she spoke about her achievements and personality. She had a powerful presence, confident stride, sharp tongue, but a kind heart. Her powerful demeanor was something she'd always had. Her confidence never collided with her humble and kind personality, and her sharp tongue only cut when necessary.

Throughout her entire story, the one thing that really intrigued me was the fact she spoke of her daughter in past tense.

"Mrs. Kim, forgive me if I'm prying, but what are your daughter's current whereabouts?" I politely asked.

That's when the glimmer in her eyes faded to gloss. Her watery eyes turned away from mine, yet she still managed to force a faint smile.

"I'm afraid she passed away a few years back," she said, softly.

I paused for a moment, slowly nodding before I answered.

"I see."

A/N: Today's chapter came a little early ༼ つ ◕◡◕ ༽つ
Much love~ <3