Prologue

A stinging sensation is all I felt as the man dug into my skin with a needle, leaving behind permanent black ink. When he finally finished, I looked at my wrist where the needle had previously been and saw "009" printed on my skin. I was puzzled. Why do I need a number tattooed on my wrist?

The door opened behind me and in walked a woman in white scrubs and a tall dark-haired man in a black suit. The woman grabbed my hand and escorted me to a room with a rainbow on the door. There were two other girls in the room. I turned around to look at the woman and the man and asked, "where are my mom and dad?"

The man bent down to my level and placed his hands on my shoulders. "I'm afraid they're otherwise occupied. My name is Dr. Brenner... and I am going to help you reach your full potential."

Seven year old me didn't understand what he meant by that. I do now. All I know is that Brenner kidnapped me to turn me into a lab rat. I vividly remember the day I woke up in the lab in a cold and windowless room. I know I had parents but it's been so long since I last saw them that I barely remember them.

Brenner performed numerous experiments on me which resulted in me obtaining telekinesis, telepathy, and energy manipulation. I remember how painful those experiments were. I recall seeing the scientists extract energy from a glowing white sphere and then inject it into me. That man made me do a lot of things I didn't want to do and if I didn't obey, he'd lock me in a cold and dark room. I had enough of the suffering, but was just waiting until I was strong enough to do something about it.

For five more years, I was exposed to the white sphere and trained to harness my abilities. I was stronger than ever before, so I used my powers to escape. I snapped necks with only my mind and blasted anyone who tried to stop me with concentrated purple energy. Once I was out, I ran and ran until I ended up on a road.

As I was running, I saw a truck coming right at me and I put my arms up, bracing myself for impact but it never came. A man stepped out of the truck to check if I was okay. That man was Mr. Sinclair, whose family took me in and who I've been living with ever since.

Brenner and his goons gave up looking for me after a year and a half. They probably realized that it was better if they didn't find me because I could kill them all if I wanted to.

Thanks to the Sinclairs, I was able to live three years of peace. I finally had a family. I finally had a normal life. That all changed, however, when a certain boy went missing on one fateful night.