Chapter 67

Okay so this is basically dedicated to Emma (@bellesoldatx) because she was going to kill me if I ended the story if I left it where it was. Love you Queen E x

Cheryl's POV

"Mrs and Mrs Tweedy-Walsh... I'm very sorry. The operation was not successful. We are very sorry. Elise is still alive... But her days are very limited."

It felt as if my whole world had crumbled. Bit by bit it was torn down. As if my heart had just been ripped out of my chest. I felt physically sick. My chest was heavy. There wasn't enough oxygen left in the world.

"How... Uh, how many... how many days?" Kimberley asked, I could see her trying so hard to hold back her tears. But she let a few spill.

I couldn't take this in. It couldn't be real. I didn't even notice I was crying until I felt the tears dampen the palm of my hands.

"Not long."

"How long exactly?!" I asked through gritted teeth. All we wanted was a straight answer. But we weren't getting it.

"A month, if she's lucky. We didn't know how serious it was until we began the operation. We are deeply sorry. We tried our best. You can go visit her soon."

"Will we ever be able to take her home?" I asked. Still crying.

"Yes in about 2 days. Her breathing isn't a stable as we hoped, but she will be allowed to be at home. However, she will need extra care and attention."

"Okay." Kimberley said. Her voice was monotone. As if she couldn't feel anyway.

I felt empty. Our baby had a month to live, if she was lucky. I couldn't bare to think of her dying. But she will. Our baby will die. How could this world be so cruel? Why was this happening to us? I always believed she would fight through it. But she won't. And I don't think I can. It's too much. No one could prepare you for the heartbreak you feel when you're told your child won't make it.

I just stared into space. Me or Kimberley didn't know what to say to each other. What is there to say? I couldn't control how much I was crying. The start of two new lives was now turning into a nightmare. A never ending nightmare.

My heart was aching. The was a horrible dull pain in my chest. I doubt it will ever go.

Kimberley put one arm around my shoulders and pulled my body closer to hers. I craved her. I always craved comfort from her. I craved her touch, her scent, the feel. I leaned my head on her and just continued crying. I could her Kimberley crying too. Which broke me even more. Was this my fault? I was the one carrying her after all. If I had taken more care of myself throughout my pregnancy, this might not be happening. We might not be in this situation. Our baby would have a chance at life. Now she has no chance.

"I know what you're thinking and you need to stop it babe. It's not your fault. Never would it be your fault. Okay?"

"It probably is. How do you know it isn't?"

"It really isn't. These things happen babe. I don't know why. I wish I knew why. And I don't understand why this is happening to us." She choked.

I didn't know what to say back. There was nothing to say. It was always gonna be there in the back of my mind, no matter what.

About 30 minutes passed and we were allowed to go and see Elise. I walked over to her incubator. She wasn't the same baby girl she was when she born. She wasn't fighting anymore. She looked tired. She had more wires attached than usual. Her little chest rising and sinking so fast. She was awake now. Trying to kick her little legs, but it was as if she didn't have the energy anymore.

Me and Kimberley sat either side of the incubator. We both both our hands inside the holes either side. Each of us held Elise's tiny, delicate hands. Her tiny fist wrapped around my finger. And overwhelming sense of love and heartbreak came crashing over me. Two polar opposite feelings colliding together, tipping me over the edge. I couldn't stop the tears from falling. There was not stopping them.

"I love you so much baby girl. So so much. You and Calleigh are the best things that ever happened to me and your mum. You can fight for a little bit longer. Please. We need you to." I cried.

----------------

Short I know, but hey ho, at least I decided to not end this story. This was actually so emotional to write omg. Sorry that the first update in forever isn't exactly happy. But oh well. Thanks for all the comments for everyone asking me to continue with this story. It means so much. ❤