chapter six

CHAPTER FOURMENDED CUTS

CHAPTER FOUR
MENDED CUTS

IT SEEMS YOU DON'T NEED GRANDMA'S BANDAID, DO YOU, DEAR.

DONGHYUCK FOCUS

"Grandma!" A young boy yelled happily, racing off of the school bus and to the gray-haired woman sitting on his porch.

She giggled, expanding her arms as she welcomed the warm scent of her favorite- and only- grandchild.

"Haechan, I missed you!"

The ten-year-old boy smiled at his grandmother's nickname, missing the way she had said it to him so many times in the past.

He climbed out of her lap and connected their hands- pulling her inside and shutting the door afterward. "Did you come to finally cook with me?"

She gave him a somewhat pitiful smile, nodding. Donghyuck didn't notice the extra emotions behind the smile and giggled as he pulled the loving woman into the kitchen.

Lee Donghyuck was the son of a couple consisting of a man and a woman. Yet neither of them seemed to be there for the young boy when he ever needed them.

That was, instead, his grandmother.

Instead of growing up with the "normal" mother and father duo to watch after him, it was his grandmother there at every moment to take care of her only grandchild.

She treated him as if he was her own. Babying him, changing his diapers, getting him dressed, feeding him his bottle, teaching him to use the toilet, teaching him how to cook for himself, how to do his laundry, etc. Everything Lee Donghyuck knew was because of the lady standing to his left.

She was his one true parent in life.

"Should we go pick the vegetables from the garden, Haechan-ah?"

The brown-headed boy shook his head no, rushing over to the refrigerator. He pulled the door open only to not find what he was looking for.

"Lost something?" His grandmother asked, walking over to look in the white refrigerator.

Donghyuck pouted as he took a step back, "I was excited when mother told me you'd be stopping by today so this morning I went to go pick and wash the vegetables from the garden and put them in here before leaving for the school bus but they're not here."

His grandmother let out a sad sigh before realizing what was the most likely situation here. Her assumption was shown to be correct when she looked down at two half-eaten sandwiches sitting on the second row with lettuce, tomatoes, and other toppings.

"Disgraceful, such awful parents." She wanted to say. But she didn't, instead of standing up straight once again and putting on a smile.

"What if we go to the market together, yes? We can get all the ingredients for our picnic there. And I might let you get some candy as a treat for getting all A's on your report card."