chapter fourteen

CHAPTER TWELVEGET AWAY

CHAPTER TWELVE
GET AWAY

YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF FOR MAKING US LOOK FOR YOU.

HYEJI FOCUS

GET UP. GET UP AND RUN ALREADY!

Hyeji's body screamed with a terrified voice. It was aching more than it ever had before after hitting the ground. Everyone was farther away than they'd want to be but the close proximity with a real-life cougar that could tear them to shreds at any moment made getting the girl a bit harder than wanted.

Said cougar watched from above in one of the trees, peering down at Hyeji. It didn't seem to be in defensive mode but it was weary about the people that just shot at the human girl.

The noise of another dart sounded in the trees and that's when the cougar knew it was time to get going. It let out another noise towards whoever shot at it before scurrying off.

Hyeji was still at the bottom of the tree, almost completely sure that she had a sprained or broken bone somewhere within her.

But it didn't stop her from getting up.

In one last attempt to get away and listen to whatever her brain was saying, she got to her feet. The motions were more than painful but she endured them. Something in her head was telling her danger was closing in.

She had no idea where she got the sudden strength to completely ignore her injuries but she did. She made her way quietly through a few trees, biting down on her lips to cease the cries of pain.

She made it a bit farther away from where they had last spotted her. She mentally thanked the forest for being so dense, otherwise, she would be found in only a second.

She could hear everyone around her. They were all saying different things but they could all agree on one thing through their bickering. Find Hyeji.

The dark-haired girl made her way partially through another bush when she tripped. Another cry of pain left her lips and everyone's voices went quiet.

She knew it was too late. Still, her brain screamed at her. RUN ALREADY! GET UP AND RUN FROM THEM!

She tried. She tried hard. But it was of no use. She was only another few feet away when she heard another dart being shot and could feel it sinking into her thigh.

With one last cry of agony, she fell to the ground, unconscious.

Sounds of a beeping were heard beside her head

Hyeji groaned at the brightness emitted inside the room but ignored it and looked over. She was hooked up on different IVs and tubes.

The sound of a loud metal door opening drew her attention away from the machines and other things she was connected to.

She was about to say something to the doctor that walked in when she finally noticed the words written around her.

Korean.

As far as she knew, there were no completely Korean hospitals in Canada. Sure there were doctors or whatnot but no hospitals that were just for Koreans.

Am I in Korea again?

Her question wasn't asked aloud but it seemed the doctor had noticed her confusion before she could actually say anything.

He smiled. She wanted to say it was a kind one but her brain was telling her that wasn't exactly true. "You seem confused. After your incident, you were taken to a hospital in Canada but were then brought here for different reasons."

She was flown to a whole different country just because of some error? That didn't make much sense. She may have understood if they took her to America or something since it was so close but flying over an ocean? That didn't seem very plausible to her.

Her doctor's smile wavered for only a second before he began speaking again. "I see you're still a bit woozy. I'll send your parents in before we do a checkup."

She nodded. The doctor walked out to go find her parents. She didn't want to see them but she had no power here. She went to move her arm and get more comfortable but was stopped.

She looked over to see why her arm wasn't moving like she wanted and notice a chain wrapped around it. She looked over at her other arm. Another chain. Down at her feet, they were also chained.

Why am I chained to this bed?

She had no one to ask. A minute later, her parents walked in together. The doctor didn't come in with them, probably to give them room to speak as a family. Or what was meant to be a family.

"Look what you've done to yourself, Hyeji." Her mother started. "It's embarrassing. You should be ashamed of yourself for making us look for you."

Hyeji looked at her blankly. Usually, she may have teared up or something but now she looked at her parents feeling nothing. There was no emotion.

"It makes the decision easier," her father said calmly.

Hyeji's eyebrows drew together in confusion before she spoke up. "What decision?"

"We're putting you in a mental hospital."

→ ♕

loving the new cover