chapter thirty-five

CHAPTER THIRTY THREERATS

RATS

I'VE GOT YOU.

RENJUN & EUNHA FOCUS

A gasp left her lips as she used her right foot to try and kick it. Its teeth let go and it fell while she backed away. But she only got a step further until the friction of the concrete floor against her shoe rubbed the wrong way and she fell.

It was only then did realize what the rat looked like. It wasn't ordinary. One of its eyes was practically rotting out, its nails long and curved. It was decomposing.

"R-Renjun!" She called out as her heartbeat quickened.

She was quick to get back on her feet and run towards the boy, clasping her arms around his right while trying to hide behind him. At that moment, all she cared about was getting away from the dead rat.

"Hey, what are you-" Renjun stopped talking when he looked towards the closet. For the first time in his life, his breath hitched at the sight in front of him. "Eunha." The girl behind him squeaked in discomfort, not wanting to see the sight but Renjun was persistent with grabbing her to look ahead.

When she finally complied and looked back, she realized there was not only one rat coming towards them but nearly five. Nearly. There were four that looks like regular dead rats while the one that'd be considered the fifth was almost just bones.

"They're dead. You've raised them from the dead." Renjun breathed out, taking slow steps back as the dead rats tried crawling towards them at a slow pace.

"How? I don't know how to raise stuff from the dead! All I wanted was to get the stupid soap and be done-" she rambled until Renjun stopped her.

"Eunha, you need to put their souls back in their bodies." He said calmly, still watching them.

"How am I supposed to do that? I don't know anything about-"

"Just picture putting them back into their bodies or something, just quickly! They're getting closer and we can't exactly kill them if they're already dead."

Eunha swallowed the lump in her throat and took a slow step forward, closing her eyes and following Renjun's instructions.

It was hard trying to imagine something that she had no idea how to imagine but she tried. It got even harder when she heard them getting closer and closer, one tapping the edge of her shoe.

She tried to move a step back but felt arms stopping her.

"I've got you. If you keep trying to run away, we'll get nowhere." She heard Renjun say. She only nodded and got back to picturing the rats in her head.

One by one with each image, she heard them squeak one last time before the last one was heard. She opened her eyes slowly, looking at the motionless animals ahead of her.

The door opened and light drew in, scaring the two inside standing against each other with a pile of rats ahead of them.

"Um," Jaemin cleared his voice, his eyes wide seeing the scene. "...I'll clean it up. It's time for your class."