chapter eleven

CHAPTER NINEONE FIGHT, TWO FIGHT

CHAPTER NINE
ONE FIGHT, TWO FIGHT

I'M TIRED. I'M TIRED, OKAY? PLEASE JUST LEAVE ME ALONE.❞

HYEJI FOCUS

Hyeji had always imagined that moving back to South Korea would make her parents happy again. She wanted to see it happen with her own eyes but she didn't know if she'd ever get the chance before her parents kicked her out of the home.

The rain outside poured down on their Canadian house, creating mud piles on the ground.

"Looks nice," she hummed to herself, looking out the front door at the flooding grounds. It had been raining a rather unusual amount recently, usually, it didn't pour down this hard until September or so.

Sounds of shouting erupted in her ears as she stared outside. Her breath slowed as she heard the yelling getting closer towards the living room. Her skin began to crawl with goosebumps when she heard their footsteps finally reach the room she was in.

"Well, I don't know! Ask her for yourself if you wanna throw such a big hissy-fit!" Her mother had spat at her father, arms crossed against her chest as she scowled at the balding man.

"You!" Her father shouted. She partially flinched at the sudden rise of voice so close to her ear. It had been unintentional but her father hadn't known.

He scoffed seeing her demeanor change upon his arrival, "stop acting as if I hit you twenty-four-seven, you brat! I have never once hurt you!"

There were plenty of time Hyeji could think of the old man or her mother hurting her. So many times she had cried herself to sleep in silence while her body ached from soreness and burning sensations.

One time being hit was more than enough.

Hyeji stayed silent, knowing if she were to speak to try and defend herself, they would team together to get onto her about backtalk even if she was simply telling them her position.

She could never win with them.

No matter what she did, they would always nitpick at it. You should have done better on this, should have done better on that, this is easy how'd you miss it, you aren't studying enough, you're gonna be dumb for the rest of your life and not get into a good college.

It's not like she could do much about it. She wasn't even an adult yet. She couldn't move out, legally, and even if she did want to- what money would she pay for a home with? How would she pay for food and other necessities? There were just too many factors she wasn't accustomed to. Honestly, she was surprised they hadn't kicked her out yet. They did threaten to a few times. But never went through with it.

Smack.

A burning sensation was felt on her left cheek as she looked up at the devil of a man she called father. His face was vacant of any remorse, instead, he gleamed with evil. "Start listening when I'm talking to you."