chapter fifty-four

CHAPTER ONELIGHTNING STORM

CHAPTER ONE
LIGHTNING STORM

ARE YOU SURE IT'S THE SAFEST THING FOR YOU TO BE GOING OUTSIDE DURING THE STORM?

X

"I hate rainy days, it always messes with my hair."

"You hate everything," Donghyuck scoffed, walking past Minju and Heejin as he took his seat next to Hyeji.

Hyeji eyes him and he immediately slumped knowing the girl didn't like his quick remarks even when they were made towards one of the girls they could all agree none of them liked.

"She-" Hyeji just shook her head, not listening to anything else Donghyuck said. She smiled softly, turning to include herself in a conversation with Minsoo and Jeno.

Since the arrival of Heejin, the seating had changed up a bit. Renjun, Eunha, and Jaemin sat next to one another with their backs against the wall while Donghyuck, Hyeji, Minsoo, and Jeno sat across from them.

There had been just enough room for two chairs to accompany each other at the end of the table and Minju had taken the liberty of claiming them for her and Heejin.

"Yeah, so are mine. I don't think it's what we originally thought." Jeno sighed, leaning on the table as he looked at the two girls and Donghyuck.

Minsoo and Hyeji sat up at his words. "What do you mean? You've seen other things happening?" Minsoo questioned, genuinely concerned.

Jeno looked at Donghyuck, the two sharing a glance. Unsure of what the two were hiding, Minsoo and Hyeji looked back and forth at them.

"What?"

"I'll have to talk to you guys later. Probably not best to try and keep anything secret around you-know-who." Jeno sat up, quickly tilting his head towards Minju and Heejin.

Donghyuck rolled his eyes, "not like they'd pay attention anyways."

A strike of lightning made everyone at the breakfast table flinch, unaware that it was more than just rainy weather outside.

"Don't worry, kids. It's just a bit of lightning and thunder. You're all okay in here," Nurse Lee tried to reassure them, a smile on her lips.

The kids couldn't exactly see what she was hiding behind the smile but they could tell there was more to it than what she wanted to be seen.

"Are you sure it's the safest thing for you to be going outside during the storm?" Eunha asked in a low voice, grabbing one of the yellow raincoats from the storage closet and tossing it to Minsoo

The older girl only shrugged, "I'm not sure. I have been feeling a bit different since the lightning started at lunch but it's probably nothing."

Eunha nodded, closing the door. She grabbed the edge of her sleeves in small fists, pulling each arm through the raincoat's sleeve and adjusting it before putting on the hood part.

"Girls, make sure you're quick! It's going to get worse later today and we don't want you two getting sick from taking the trash out. Nurse Lee and Kim already put it all by the door before they left so just take it out and come back in."

The two nodded, walking over to the back door with Nurse Son so she could unlock it. They tried paying attention to the code but Nurse Son blocked it with one hand, making it impossible to see the numbers she typed.

They both sighed lightly, not wanting to make the woman suspicious of their sudden drop in attitude.

When the door was finally opened their eyes squinted, beginning to use both of their combined strength to push the large wagon across the muddy ground.

They finally got across the backyard and started dumping the gross items in the trash bags into the dumpster.

Another bolt of lightning struck down closely, the sky momentarily lighting up purple. The two girls jolted and immediately covered their ears upon hearing the loud sound.

"Damn it," Minsoo cursed under her breath, sucking in her lips as she tightened her eyes close.

"What's wrong?" Eunha immediately asked, glancing over at Nurse Son who was staring at her clipboard at the back door waiting for the two to return.

"I can feel my eyes changing."

"Your eyes can cha-" Eunha closed her mouth when Minsoo opened her eyes, the white pupils taking her back for a second. "What do we do?"

"It's gonna take a second but they'll be back to normal if I calm myself down fast enough." She said slowly, beginning to take deep breaths in and out as she hauled the trash bags.

It was not a very present smell.

By the time they finished, they were running the wagon back towards the building and rushing past Nurse Son to get inside and away from the cold and storm.

"Alright girls, head to the table for dinner, and then you can be off to bed. I know the rain's probably making you all quite tired as well." Nurse Son smiled.

→ ♕

guess who's back!

disclaimer: i'm only going to be updating every other day. i hope you guys don't mind :(

anyways jeno questioning his powers? uh oh
what else could his powers be? 😏
also.. minsoo? what's happening there