chapter forty-four

CHAPTER FORTY TWOPAIN, PAIN, AND EVEN MORE PAIN

CHAPTER FORTY TWO
PAIN, PAIN, AND EVEN MORE PAIN

I THINK WE SHOULD BEGIN TAKING THE MEDICINE AGAIN.

HYEJI FOCUS

"Dishes duty again?" Donghyuck sighed, setting down his stuff on the kitchen table beside Hyeji's.

The shorter girl smiled at him and waited for him to stand beside her. "Looks like we've got more to do than usual."

Donghyuck groaned in despair, "really? Who was using so many plates for breakfast this morning? I swear there weren't nearly this many plates before I left for bed."

Hyeji stiffed a laugh, paying his shoulder. "Wasn't it you? Something about not wanting your syrup from your pancakes to touch any of your other food?"

"Me? Really?" Donghyuck chuckled awkwardly, trying to hide the small piece of embarrassment.

Hyeji laughed it off, walking towards the drying part of the counter. "You wash, I'll dry and put away." Donghyuck nodded wordlessly and got to work.

Small chatter was exchanged between the two as they continued working together. They shared experiences from life before being trapped in the hell hole they were currently doing chores in.

They even talked about their pure hatred for school. Even if the two were extremely smart, it didn't make schoolwork any more enjoyable for a kid that wasn't good.

They weren't much different from those kids, always being told they need to do better or they won't achieve their goals in the future.

But both of them knew that their goals were no longer school-based, they wanted what everyone else wanted.

To leave Neo House.

How exactly were they going to do that and get out alive? They weren't too sure yet. But they both had trust in Renjun to find a way to get them out.

It was quiet as their conversation began ending, their shared silencing becoming comforting with only the presence of one another.

Just when Donghyuck finished the last plate did a strike a pain find its way through Hyeji's body.

It wasn't really a striking feeling. More of painful aching all over but not like that of growing pains. It felt more like somehow her bones inside her body were trying to merge together.

A hiss left her lips as she fell to the ground, the knife she had been cleaning just barely missing her finger as it fell to her side.

Donghyuck's eyes widened as he sat down the spoon with the rest of the wet silverware and kneeled down beside the girl in pain.

"Hyeji? What's wrong?"

The dark-haired girl gasped for air, reaching for one of Donghyuck's hands to squeeze. It felt like she had just got punched in the stomach.

He tried helping her up but she only got onto her knees before slightly dropping again, Donghyuck barely grabbing her in time before she would have face planted.

Her long hair draped over her head as she coughed quietly, not knowing where the nurses were and if they'd be able to hear her.

Donghyuck had only just managed to help her get to her feet and sat down at one of the chairs when the door opened and in walked Nurse Lee.

"Hyeji? Donghyuck? What's the matter?" She asked, walking over towards the two with slight concern in her eyes.

Donghyuck's lips parted to answer but Hyeji beat him, "I'm feeling a bit ill. May I go to my room?"

Nurse Lee leaned downward and patted her head, retracting it after feeling the intense heat immuring off of her body.

"Of course. Your parents told us you didn't get sick a lot but when you did, it could get bad. Donghyuck, will you take her upstairs? I need to check on the others before leaving."

He nodded, leading her to her shared room.

"Where's Hyeji?"

"Where's Hyeji?"

Eunha looked towards the vacant chair where her friend normally sat to see no trace of her.

Donghyuck cleared his throat, making everyone but Minju look at him. She couldn't be less interested in whatever he was trying to do.

When Donghyuck realized he got everyone's attention, she slightly tilted his head towards Nurse Min who had been behind the island reading a book.

They nodded, barely noticeably.

"Nurse Min, I need to use the bathroom." Minju suddenly said, not waiting for a response before lifting herself out of the chair.

Nurse Min silently watched her leave before her phone pinged. She scanned over whatever the notification was before walking over to the group of teenagers still eating. "Nurse Son needs me, I'll be right back."

When she walked out, Donghyuck began speaking quietly to the others in a rushed tone, unsure of when Minju would barge back inside.

"We were doing the dishes earlier when she fell to the ground and started shaking. Her eyes were doing that thing again."

"The shifting?" Minsoo asked.

Donghyuck nodded and inhaled deeply. "I know you guys aren't going to want to hear this but I don't just want to sit here and watch this happen. I think we should begin taking the medicine again."

Some of their mouths dropped open at the idea offered while others sat still. Renjun was one that did not react.

"Why? I've spoken with Hyeji already and she said that she's willing to do whatever if it means getting out of here." The older boy stated.

Donghyuck shook his head, "we don't know what all is going to happen to all of us. For fucks sake, Hyeji just dropped down to the ground and got up with a temperature well over what is healthy, my body has been aching with heat daily, and every time Jaemin sees something he ends up puking his guts out. Is this really worth it?"