chapter forty-three

CHAPTER FORTY ONETHE BOY FROM THE PAST

CHAPTER FORTY ONE
THE BOY FROM THE PAST

WHAT AM I?

DONGHYUCK FOCUS

"See you all in the morning," Donghyuck smiled with a wave, following Jeno up to their room.

The three girls at the bottom of the staircase waved after him, voicing their goodnight to the two boys before they'd split up themselves.

When Jeno and Donghyuck got up to their room, they quickly changed into their pajamas and waited to take their pills from one of the nurses.

After washing them down, it was lights out. The two of them cuddled in close to their pillows and blankets, welcoming the warmth.

Soft snores arose, the sound of peaceful sleeping encasing the room as the city lights flicker outside of the white building.

Time passed by in a flash until the morning became apparent as soft hues of yellow and orange found their way through the bedroom window, creating natural lighting against everything it touched.

A soft yawn escaped from the brown-headed boy, his arms outstretching to his side and he pushed himself off of the white comforter.

He licked his dry lips, pulling them between his teeth as he stood up wobbly, finding his way to the bedroom door. His footsteps were soft against the hardwood floor.

Once finally getting to the bathroom, he did his business and walked over to the sink. A small gasp left his lips looking back at his reflection.

He was covered in quite a bit of sweat. He hadn't even felt the way it soaked his shirt front and back, darkening the light gray shirt in a lot of areas.

His hair was sticky as well, clinging onto his forehead. It was fluffy on top but wet at the bottom, somewhat darkening the strands a bit just like his shirt.

He looked more into the glass framed on the wall, now focusing on his eyes. They were no longer his dark brown ones.

They now found the colors dark red, almost maroon along with small pieces of gold. They looked magical.

But the problem was that when he looked at these eyes, they were not the Lee Donghyuck he knew. They were the eyes of a monster in training that would one day have the power he could have never imagined.

He didn't want that power. He didn't want any power. He just wanted to go back to the way things were before. Before coming into the home, before meeting everyone, before finding out who he was.

He didn't want any of that. He wanted to be a normal kid and live a normal life.

But even if things were to go back to the way they were before, he would not have been normal. His life would not be normal. It never would be, no matter what Donghyuck told himself.

A soft sigh left his lips as he quickly rinsed his hands and found his way back into the hallway and into his room. While passing by, he finally read the clock on the wall. It was only 6:15, no one else would probably be up at the time.

"Do these magical bird powers come from the sun? Does that mean I'm gonna have to be a morning person now?" He grumbled to himself unhappily, grabbing some clothes before finding his way back to the bathroom for a shower.

When getting back inside he stripped out of the nasty clothing from the night before and got into the water. He hadn't even waited for the hot water to somewhat cool, now finding the warmth it had to overcome him with a somewhat comforting feeling.

Whatever type of pain he had been going through for the past two or three days since they began no longer taking the pills was slowly changing his body in multiple ways.

The way his body reacted to heat was one of the biggest changes for him. At first, it had been one of the most painful feelings he had ever felt but as hours, minutes, seconds, continued on, he began getting somewhat used to the feeling.

While in the shower, he began thinking more about not only himself but also the others.

Why did they have powers? Not just normal powers either. There were three of them that had somewhat normal powers you'd be able to see in a comic book while the other four possessed powers of what were thought to be mythical creatures or the ability to pull the dead from their graves.

A slow teardrop washed down his face and mixed with the water provided by the showerhead, his eyes creasing as more fell.

He slowly opened his eyes and in a soft voice spoke, "what am I?"