Ch. 20: Improvise

"Should I wear the red one or the brown one?"

Auntie Dorothy was holding up two blouses that were so flowery patterned and traditional that they made my head hurt, and her to look at least ten years older than she was. I just shook my head.

"Brown looks good against my skin, but... Argh, no. I feel like wearing red. Or maybe... Oh! I have a black blazer."

"Yes!" I erupted. Anything but the granny outfits she was considering. Then I groaned when I saw how unflattering it was to her body shape. But it was definitely better than the other alternatives.

"We're so going shopping next week," I huffed. "But seriously. Go for the black blazer and something white... Hold on. Borrow a tank top of mine to wear underneath."

"I can't wear your clothes, Mia! It won't fit," she exclaimed in disbelief.

"Yes, you can. It's stretchy and comfortable, and you better wear it, because you can't go to dinner looking like you're stuck in the 60's."

"I'm not," she scoffed, but I didn't care if she got offended. She needed to see how beautiful she looked if only she chose clothes that were right for her figure. And I was right.

"Wow. That... Is that really me?"

"See what one little piece of clothing can do? You look twenty years younger. And with a cool pair of jeans you'll be smoking hot."

"But I'm close to fifty years old, sweetie. I'm not supposed to look... Uh. What you said."

"Yes, you are. There's nothing that stops a girl from looking good, no matter how old she is."

She was blushing, and I was wondering why.

"Well, okay. Black pants will do for tonight, though. Are you ready to go?"

"Yep," I said and took a quick glance in the mirror to check my makeup. I didn't look half bad. Then I stopped when I found auntie Dorothy observing me thoughtfully.

"Is there something wrong?" I asked, and immediately started searching my braids and my clothes.

"No, no. Not at all. I just find it interesting that you are calmer than me right now."

"Oh."

Now it was my turn to blush. She didn't know that I already knew Benjamin quite well.

"There will only be five people, including us, right? So no crowds. Also, the house is just down the street, so we can run for safety if we get attacked. And since you obviously trust Patrick, I assume we won't be murdered tonight?"

She laughed at the last thing I said, since I formed it as a question.

"There will be no murderers around tonight, Mia. Just the five of us, and whatever delicious meal Patrick's made."

Or Benjamin, I thought to myself and smiled. Then the doorbell rang, and auntie Dorothy hurried down the hall with me strolling casually behind her.

It was a young girl. She was smiling from ear to ear when she handed my aunt something big. A bouquet.

...of long-stemmed, red roses.

"Mia? Hello?"

"Uhh," I choked out. I didn't even realize that I was frozen at the spot, until she stood in front of me several moments later, trying to catch my gaze. But it was glued to the flowers in her hands.

"Can you help me search for the card?"

I didn't need any card to know who they were from. And after a half-hearted attempt, we found that there wasn't any.