Ch. 60: Confession

"Oh, my gosh. It's so strange to be home," I exclaimed after putting my bag down in the middle of the living room. Dad came right after with two suitcases, one Jimmy Choo ankle boot under each arm and another bag around his neck, huffing and puffing for the amount of clothes I had to bring for the two weeks I was staying there. Oh, well.

"Hey, mom. I've missed you."

I walked over to her, not noticing her rather cold demeanor. Not until I gave her a hug and she barely hugged me back.

"What's wrong?" I asked, confused. DeeVana just rolled her eyes.

"That's how she gets when you don't talk to her in three weeks," she mumbled, and I watched mom cross her arms over her chest and lean all her weight on one leg. Uh-oh. That was never a good sign.

"But we talked two days ago, and everything is fine," I started, but was cut short by mom snapping at me.

"Ignoring my questions about your wellbeing, telling me that everything is fine, when my sister says she's worried about you is not fine, Mia! What's going on? Have you turned into one of those typical college party girls, drinking alcohol every weekend?"

"What?"

"Have you been missing out on your school work? You know you're only weeks from graduation, right?"

"I know, and I haven't missed out on any of my school work," I protested loudly. I could already feel mom's wrath, and knew she was going to scold me like a fire spitting dragon.

"Have you been doing drugs?!" she gasped. "You're already on medication for..."

"No, mom! I'm not doing drugs!" I yelled. "No drugs! No alcohol! No partying!"

That shut her up long enough to let me explain.

"Why on earth would you think I would drink and do drugs? With my anxiety and shit? Seriously?"

"Watch your language, young lady."

I rolled my eyes, while I tried to find a way to explain that the only party I had been to was when everything went to hell.

"Sorry. But I'm completely honest, mom. I've only been to one party, and that was my birthday party with my best friend and his friends, who now have become my friends."

"Get to the point."

She tapped her foot and circled her wrist out in front of her to make me elaborate.

"I suppose it's not Gabby you're talking about."

"Definitely not!" I exclaimed and frowned in annoyance. She pursed her lips in return.

"One day you better tell me what happened between you two."

Yeah... No. Not gonna happen.

"It's not Gabby. It's Benjamin who is my best friend now. I told you about him at Christmas. The guy next door? Well, not exactly next door. It's more down the street..."

"The point, Mia!"

"Okay, okay!"

"So this Benjamin guy... It he your boyfriend?" she asked suspiciously, and I considered telling her the whole complicated situation. But the way she glared at me told me that it probably wasn't a very good idea. The thing with Ryan would be enough for one day.