Ch. 42: Insecure

I felt so warm. It was like someone had tucked me into a duvet with a built-in radiator, and way too tightly too. Then, when I tried to move, it tightened even more. Gradually I came to myself, and was wide awake from the second I remembered where I was. Again I tried to get up, only to get pulled back once more, which I swear almost gave me a minor heart attack. My instant fear didn't last long though, because I recognized the messy black curls next to me as soon as I realized that my 'duvet' was a man named Michael.

"Morning, babe," he murmured directly into my ear, and I was embarrassed by how my body reacted to it. I couldn't really help it, though. It was honestly the sexiest morning voice I'd ever heard.

"Did you sleep well?"

"Mhm," I yawned and moved a little, while I tried my best to ignore the annoying heat in my core. And I wasn't just talking temperature wise because I was warm.

"Me too."

He yawned as well, proving how contagious that is.

"I actually can't remember the last time I slept this well."

"Me neither. What time is it?" I asked and contemplated whether it would be inappropriate to snuggle up against his chest or not. But I chickened out, thinking it would be too awkward. Just wanting to do it was foreign to me.

"Almost 3 pm," he chuckled and rolled over to his back. And no matter how warm I was, I immediately missed having him close. So I didn't exactly protest when he pulled me after him and made me lay on his chest, just the way I initially wanted. I loved his scent. His smile. And his eyes. Oh, his eyes... They looked so different up close. So affectionate and curious, and beautifully framed by long, dark lashes. I could even spot the different nuances of brown in his irises while he probably did the same thing with me.

"What are you thinking?" he asked quietly, and tucked one of my braids away from my face and over my shoulder. I smiled shyly and blushed. 

"That I'm not used to sharing a bed with anyone."

His smile grew larger as if he was genuinely happy to know. I didn't understand why, though. But at least he didn't make fun of me.

"Stay another night, then. We need to practice."

"On sharing a bed?" I giggled, and he put up a solemn face to show how serious he was about it. But he still looked too sleepy to be taken seriously.

"We've already slept through the whole day, and missed out on my plans for both today and yesterday, so... We might as well sleep a little longer," he murmured and closed his eyes, before he turned to kiss my temple.

I had to bite my lip to keep from bursting with happiness. So many weeks and months with depression and frustration were easily hidden in a box in the back of my mind. I knew it probably wouldn't last long, but as for now I just savored the moment and felt more relaxed than ever. Unfortunately...

"You know I can't do that. I've got school tomorrow, and I can't skip because they're giving out information about this big assignment and an even more important exam we have to do by the end of next week."

Michael whined and pouted like a big baby, and I got the urge to touch his lips. Instead I trailed my fingers along the collar of his t-shirt and studied the thin chain of gold that caressed his neck. I'd never been jealous of a necklace before, but I was, and I almost laughed at how crazy it was.

"Okay," he sighed eventually. "But then we better have a rain check next weekend, because I had plenty of things I wanted to show you. And Benjamin promised me we could have the weekend together after that party..."