Ch. 14: Fine on wine

"Mia? Wake up, Mimi."

"Mia, can you hear me?"

I felt soft, rapid slaps on my cheek, that were pulling me out of my empty dream.

"Please wake up."

"I swear this is the worst panic attack she's had. At least that I've seen."

That was Gabby's voice. And the other one was...

"Michael?" I croaked out, with a voice that barely worked.

"Ha! Isn't that typical? I've been your best friend since stone age, yet it's his name you're calling the moment you wake up," Gabby snorted. I didn't know if she was joking or if she was really offended, but I'd have to deal with that later.

"Are you alright, Mia?" Michael asked, with worry written all over.

"Uhm... Yeah," I said, after spending a whole few seconds trying to remember where I was. I couldn't, though. I was too confused.

"You have no idea how sorry I am. I'd never brought you there if I knew it was going to get that bad."

He stroked my hand repeatedly, and it was first then I realized that I was sitting in a car with his arm wrapped safely around me.

"We're almost at the hotel now."

"Now, hold on. This isn't the hotel we're staying at," Gabby objected, and Michael quickly explained.

"No. The crew and I are staying here. We've pretty much rented the entire hotel, and there weren't any rooms available for you. Not any nice rooms, at least. And I didn't take it for granted that you'd feel okay staying with me, even though I wouldn't mind."

He swallowed and looked at me. Then he leaned close to whisper into my ear.

"I wouldn't mind that at all."

Then he cleared his voice and composed himself.

"So yeah, that's why you got one of the best rooms at the other hotel. But I don't want to leave you there after..."

"Sweet! Is there anything to drink there?" Gabby interrupted. "After this it's time to get fine on wine. Right, Mimi?"

I giggled a bit. Only Gabby would think of alcohol in a situation like this. Then again, she'd seen her fair share of anxiety attacks to know that I was fine now. Well, fine? Sitting the way I did, leaning against Michael's chest with his arm around me, made everything perfect.

"Get your ass drunk and relaxed, and then..."

She mumbled the rest, but I knew what she meant. And since Michael chuckled, I was pretty sure he did, too.

"Please don't listen to her," I whispered and tried to hide my face, partially in my hand and partially in the crook of his neck. He smelled so good. And the way his rib cage vibrated when he laughed made my stomach flutter and tickle. I just wanted to sit like this forever. Unfortunately, we were already at the hotel and the car came to a halt.

"Back entrance?" Gabby asked and stated the obvious.

"Yeah. But there are probably paps lurking around, so we need to make it quick. Just hurry inside, and if anyone spots us, I'll distract them."

I noticed the cautious eyes of the driver, who eventually cleared his voice.

"Uhm, sir? I need to remind you that your security team isn't here yet. The only security is the one..."

"...at the hotel, yes. I'm aware of that," Michael interrupted. But he signed for him to open the doors and let us out. Then he turned to me and grabbed my hand.