Ch. 54: Trouble in paradise?

"Troy?"

"Mr. Jackson."

"Why the hell did you let Veronica in?"

"What do you mean, sir?"

I rolled my eyes and clenched my fist around the intercom receiver in annoyance.

"Why did you let Veronica through the gates? You know I didn't want anyone here this weekend."

"Uhm. I'm afraid I don't understand, sir. I haven't."

"Then who did?" I asked with narrowed eyebrows. I tried to keep it quiet so Mia wouldn't hear, but I was angry. I saw how insecure she got when Veronica eyed her up and down, and I hated it! I wouldn't allow anything in the world to come between us and where we were at this stage. The connection we had and our relationship, which had grown stronger and tighter than ever... No. Never. Not in a million years.

"Hold on. I'll ask Tyler."

I waited impatiently while he talked to his colleague.

"I'm sorry, sir. He didn't do it either."

"Then who did?"

"I don't know. But I can check the surveillance cameras?"

"Yes, do that. And in the meantime, change all access codes on the security system. Did she leave yet?"

There was some talking at the other end, and the answer had me even more worried than before.

"No, sir. We haven't seen her at all."

"Then find her and make her leave! She wasn't supposed to be here today in the first place, and I don't get how she could even misunderstand that."

"Yes, sir. Of course. I'll give you a call when we find her."

"Good. Thanks. That would be all for now."

I hung up just in time as Mia came walking down the stairs just as hesitantly as she walked up. I honestly didn't blame her.

"Hey, babe," I said, hoping she saw that I understood why she was sad, and that I was just as confused about why Veronica was here, as she was. I met her halfway, and wrapped my arms around her waist and kissed her. But when she barely kissed me back, I felt my heart sink in my chest. She'd just started trusting me again, and now this happened?

"I honestly didn't know she was here. I specifically told my staff not to come this weekend, because I didn't want anything to disturb my time with you. She had no business being here at all."

She nodded and swallowed, but didn't meet my gaze. Not until I lifted her chin.

"Really, Mia. I have no idea why she was here."

"So you..." she started, and her eyes shifted from mine to my shoulder.

"No, I didn't invite her, and I'm going to give her a warning. If she wants to keep her job, she better obey my orders."

"No. Not that," she said and big, brown eyes finally found mine.

"What do you mean?"