Ch. 59: Half truth

Michael didn't pick up the phone any of the five times I called, and when he finally called back, he sounded exhausted.

"Hey, babe. Are you okay?"

I could tell he noticed that something was wrong. But after calling so many times and he didn't even reply with a text, I didn't feel like telling him at all. My panic attack eventually faded, but I still hadn't let auntie Dorothy into my room or even explained to her why I kicked Veronica out. Instead I laid fully clothed in bed with my duvet pulled over my head.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Sorry for calling you so many times. How are you?"

"You don't sound like you're fine. What's wrong?" he asked, ignoring my question.

Everything.

"Nothing. I just missed hearing your voice, that's all."

That wasn't a lie, but it wasn't quite the truth either.

"I miss you, too," he said, and he sounded so tired that it could easily be mistaken for him being sad. Did something happen to him?

"How was your day?" I asked.

"Just... long," he replied, and I pictured his weak smile.

"Okay? What did you do, then? Were you at the studio all day?"

"That too. Plus a few meetings and a photo shoot. And my manager asked a ton of questions about you."

"He did?"

"Yeah. Or not you specifically. He says that there are rumors that I'm seeing someone."

He chuckled, but he still sounded tired and sad. Why was he sad about telling people that he was dating me?

"So he doesn't know that I'm your girlfriend?"

"No. I didn't tell anyone yet. Only my lawyers. You know, because of Ryan."

"Oh."

Why did that feel like a stab in my heart? Was he ashamed of me? Either that, or of having a girlfriend at all. He didn't even tell his own family. Then again, who was I to judge. I didn't tell my parents yet, either. Only Benjamin and auntie Dorothy knew, and I'd begged them not to tell anyone until I'd at least told mom and dad. They probably knew something was up, but I doubt they could ever imagine their own daughter was dating someone like Michael Jackson.

"I'm telling my parents this weekend. Saturday probably," I said quietly.

"About Ryan?"

"That too."

"Okay."

"And about you."

He was silent for a couple of seconds too long.

"But if you don't want me to tell them, it's fine," I quickly added. I didn't like where this conversation was going at all.

"No, no. It's not that. It's just... It's a bit complicated."

"That I'm your girlfriend?" I asked, almost at the verge of tears.