Ch. 6: Kiss on the cheek

"What time is it?"

"It's exactly seven and a half minutes since last time you asked," Gabby mumbled into her towel, without even bothering to look up. We were having double spa treatment, where we got pampered with everything from full massage, coconut oil wrapping, facials, pedicure and manicure. And to top it all we were going to have our hair and makeup done, so we could look our best when we went to the concert. Our outfits were already chosen and hung ready in our hotel room.

"But..."

"Shut up. You're behaving like a three year old."

"Am not! I just didn't know... Like, no offense lady, but this takes forever."

I gave the therapist an apologetic smile, hoping I didn't piss her off, but she was difficult to read.

"Take deep breaths, Mia. This is a piece of Nirvana. A bit of paradise created just for us, and paid for by your lovely boyfriend."

"Friend!" I interrupted, but got ignored. And I didn't know if I was more annoyed by that or by the music.

"They could at least have played Michael Jackson."

"Because you'd relax and meditate better to 'Speed Demon'?"

"No. But I wouldn't mind 'Liberian Girl' and 'I just can't stop loving you'.

"Whatever..."

Another eternity of silence, layers of cream, foundation, hairspray, nail polish... The list was endless, and I couldn't care less. I just wanted to get to the arena where the concert was going to be held. To watch the King of Pop strut across the stage, thrusting his hips and smile to the audience, while he sang his way into our hearts. Just to feel his spirit and energy, was going to be magical and a dream come true for me. Something I'd wished for ever since I first heard 'With a child's heart' many years ago. And now I was literally dying to get back to the hotel room so we could start the evening.

"What time is it?" I asked again and felt the skilled hands of my therapist leave my body. And not even a second after, both Gabby and the two therapists groaned in unison.

"SHUT UP!"

<><><>

"This tastes fucking amazing!" Gabby shouted a little too loud. It was only her and I in the room, so shouting was completely unnecessary, but the sparkling bubble water obviously convinced her otherwise.

"So I've heard," I commented flatly, while struggling with the strap on my right shoe.

"What? You don't like champagne?"

"You know I don't."

"Oh well, more for me then."

Finally, both shoes were on and I gave them a critical eye, only to take them off and toss them towards my suitcase. Then I sat down and popped a raspberry candy into my mouth and moaned.

"These, on the other hand..."

"I swear you have such a sweet tooth that you should be sponsored by Hershey's."

"Rather Snickers or M&M," I smirked, and stuffed another two sanded raspberry candies into my mouth, blissfully shuddering from the sour taste.

"You look like a hamster," Gabby laughed and I rolled my eyes. Then I tried another pair of shoes; purple heels that were so short that they were close to being pumps.

"A fashionable hamster, at least," I mumbled, while slurping and sucking on the pieces of heaven. Then I chewed so it sounded like a landslide inside my head. I knew that annoyed Gabby. Did I care? Pff. It only meant room for more candy.